ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M1 Mac's

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Anyone got one of these yet?

Interested if its ok dual booting windows like the intel ones.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sorry if I’ve misunderstood - you can just boot from windows in BootCamp within MacOS, no?

The new mac's come with chips made by Apple themselves so windows might not be able to utilises them efficiently.

The previous had intel the same as a normal laptop.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
The new mac's come with chips made by Apple themselves so windows might not be able to utilises them efficiently.

The previous had intel the same as a normal laptop.
Ah that makes more sense then. So the A10 Bionics etc were all Intels?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
No, the A10 etc are all ARM based chips rather than Intel, but they weren’t used in the laptops/Mac mini’s etc, just iPhones, iPads etc.

MacBooks, Minis etc all used Intel chips since moving from Power chips (in 2006).

As far as I was aware bootcamp wasn’t supported on the M1 chips, not sure if it’s something they’re working on or not. Think the virtualisation products (Parallels, VMWare Fusion) are being developed to run natively on the ARM architecture but aren’t there yet.

I’m torn as to whether to get an M1 Air or not.

From the few things I’ve read they sound pretty impressive performance wise for what they are, and the battery life is supposed to be extremely good.

I’ve got an early 2011 MacBook Pro that’s still going strong, just that it’s no longer supported for the latest OS versions so is ripe for replacement and is a bit lethargic.

Only thing is not sure I’d actually use it that much, especially now not travelling anymore for work, so potentially a waste of cash.

But I still want one.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The new M1 chips do not support X86 so Windows 10 will not bootcamp currently.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Are Apple not selling some sort of developer machine alongside for a while that allows this? I’m sure I’ve seen that in a video ages ago. Am I totally making this up? It’s not something I’m interested in so don’t have any more info. Or I literally have made it up and that’s why I have no more info...

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I’ve got a DTK which I got as soon as they became available for developers. it took me about a day to get my own software up and running on it (I had to hack together a load of fixes for the development library I use as it didn’t support macOS ARM), once I got that compiled I then had to write another tool to create universal versions of the development libraries and also my application.

It all worked fine, a single application ran natively on x86_64 and arm64. Even though it had a modified iPhone processor in it, I was absolutely blown away by the speed of it, it’s crazy fast:

I will get an M1 based machine when I have to send the DTK back.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
We’ve been working from home since March and we will be for the foreseeable so my boss has ordered us all an i9 16” MacBook Pro and a 4K monitor. I told him to save money and just get the 13” with M1 but he wasn’t having any of it. They seem to be properly capable for the money.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Looking at getting either a pro or an air m1. Slight concern with the air is the lack of a fan, Will this be an issue as the laptops get older?
Not sure about the Touch Bar but never used one.

Looking at getting a 512gb one my old laptop had a 750gb hard drive. I take it I can just restore parts of my time machine back ups?

I’ve got a dead 2011 mbp which the fan ran often. Think the logic board died, as 1st one ram slot went then the other.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Looking at getting either a pro or an air m1. Slight concern with the air is the lack of a fan, Will this be an issue as the laptops get older?

Looking at getting a 512gb one my old laptop had a 750gb hard drive. I take it I can just restore parts of my time machine back ups?

I’ve got a dead 2011 mbp which the fan ran often. Think the logic board died, as 1st one ram slot went then the other.
The lack of fan shouldn’t make stuff worse over time anymore than a regular fan laptop. Obviously the performance will be capped if it gets too hot as it can’t just fire the fan up.
Personally I’m a fan of the Touch Bar but think it’s a personal choice. You can either restore an entire time machine backup or just browse individual files and folders to restore.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve just started using a MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar and I don’t really find it that useful yet but I’ve not given it much time. I do really like the Touch ID button though. The specs are very similar between the Air and the Pro, the battery is a little bit better on the Pro and you get a much quicker charger on the box. I personally prefer the look of the Pro but it’s an extra £250ish.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

A lot of the reviews say they very close on performance so it’s just down to if you want the Touch Bar.
In theory the air should be more reliable because it’s not sucking in dust.

I’m tempted by the 13 pro but I’m going to wait and see what the 14’ & 16’ M1X is like I think.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
A lot of the reviews say they very close on performance so it’s just down to if you want the Touch Bar.
In theory the air should be more reliable because it’s not sucking in dust.

I’m tempted by the 13 pro but I’m going to wait and see what the 14’ & 16’ M1X is like I think.

I was thinking I might wait for the newer ones but reading some reviews/people guessing, looks like they maybe all for higher end models. Which will be way out of my budget.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I’ve had the Touch Bar 4 years now and it’s still not that intuitive. I’d probably prefer keys again but I couldn’t do without Touch ID

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I have a 16" pro that I got last year, got buyers remorse now, I should have waited for the new arm cpu but my 9 year old MBP needed replacing (it actually failed completely just after my 16" was delivered).

It's still a great machine, but agree on the touchbar, offers nothing but easier emoji browsing day to day, scrubbing is quite nice but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. The touch id is essential though, it's another one of those features that was implemented badly and pretty much abandoned in the past (HP and IBM iirc) but Apple really perfected it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Blah yeah all that.

I'd say 40% decrease in my own workflow (designer) which is significant over my old 2018 MBP i7. Single core tasks are insanely quick now, too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Game changer? Can it stroke my dick for me now or something or do I just a get a few more hours out of it while stroking myself?
Oh bravo. That's a funny joke. Give me a shout once class is over and we can chat about more.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So what does it do to change the game and do better/other things that other powerful laptops can't do?
The battery lasts a bit longer? And it is immeasurably (Going off Apple's graphs which don't show X or Y scales) faster.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
So what does it do to change the game and do better/other things that other powerful laptops can't do?
It's an arm based laptop that has simply steam rolled the competition with very little drawbacks.

Do you know any laptops with 15 hours battery life? Insane 4k render speeds. More than twice what intel offered on the last gen.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Definitely not a “game changer” as Jamie has said. It’s just a quicker more efficient upgrade.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing like going nuts over literallity gents. Okay. It's a game changing arm laptop.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's perspective, isn't it?

Personally, coming from a previous Intel MBP from a few generations back it's going to make a huge difference to my workflow. Even more so if, like me, you process a lot of large design files and do a lot of editing. Having something in a 13" form factor that can process work sometimes four times as fast is a game-changer for me, personally.

Maybe not so if you're getting a new laptop every year or you're a desktop iMac/PC user with GPU to burn. For a small, light SOC laptop it's right up there.

Reactions: Ben

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I cannot believe how much faster and more powerful the M1 is over the same spec and age intel. Utterly ridiculous. Im gona change my 15" Pro for a new M1 13" Pro.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I cannot believe how much faster and more powerful the M1 is over the same spec and age intel. Utterly ridiculous. Im gona change my 15" Pro for a new M1 13" Pro.

Rumoured new form factor coming this year for the pros so might want to hold off.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Bought one.

Mad efficiency. Against my 2015 Quad Core i7 16GB

IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Seen this from a guys called Louis Rossman.

Has many many videos about apple and the right to repair.

Interesting what he says about the M1