ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M1tch's daily 1.5 Dci 80

Thanks for that, I will keep it running as is, car is currently doing 77.3mpg average with a coked up inlet manifold but clean EGR pipe so it doesn't seem to matter too much, I would guess it would be rather bad in the inlet runners in the head though but I don't really want to loosen any of it which might then fall into the engine!

Update: Car is currently doing 80mpg with mixed driving - mainly motorway but also some town driving during the evening and last weekend.

I have found that the car sometimes jolts a bit when you let off the throttle every now and then, I have checked to see if its the dogbone but the engine is fairly stable when trying to rock it back and forth so I don't think its that.

I will try and get it up on ramps this weekend to check out the clonking front end, I have a feeling its just an engine cover or something knocking against something relating to the jolting.

I also unclipped the airbox hose last night to see what it sounded like and the ease of revving the engine, found that it sounded a bit better and the throttle response seemed better. I have previously removed a restrictive inlet snorkel from a Yaris, which gave the induction sort of sound without needing to change anything else and increased the MPG - this is due to the increase in throttle response.

I will have a look into removing the hose this weekend to see if it makes much difference, it would be taking in some warmer air, however the exhaust is at the back of the engine so its only drawing air in from over the top of the injectors etc. Also the air would be heated a fair bit once its compressed by the turbo so it shouldn't make too much difference!

I will report back on my findings over the weekend.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I also unclipped the airbox hose last night to see what it sounded like and the ease of revving the engine, found that it sounded a bit better and the throttle response seemed better. I have previously removed a restrictive inlet snorkel from a Yaris, which gave the induction sort of sound without needing to change anything else and increased the MPG - this is due to the increase in throttle response.

I will have a look into removing the hose this weekend to see if it makes much difference, it would be taking in some warmer air, however the exhaust is at the back of the engine so its only drawing air in from over the top of the injectors etc. Also the air would be heated a fair bit once its compressed by the turbo so it shouldn't make too much difference!

I will report back on my findings over the weekend.

they sound horrible with that hose removed, I had one with a burst one and removed it and had to quickly tape it up and refit as it sounded terrible, no harm in trying though!

drawing in hot air from the radiator too remember!

Thanks for that, I will have a think about it, I have just worked on the car a bit more, here is what I have done:

Change air filter
Changed oil filter - no metal shards in the old filter meaning the HP pump is ok at the moment
Added injector cleaner
Added 2 stroke

The old filters were 'ok' but a bit mucky, with this mini service the car is smoother and is more responsive with some additional low down torque - I was looking for better throttle response so it seems that this has worked.

I have also refilled the car, here are the details (for MPG):

Total filled : 25.4 litres
Total miles covered: 402miles
Journey during this trip was around 85% motorway, with 1 day last week where I was stuck in a traffic jam
MPG: 72 mpg
Manufacture quoted MPG: 67 MPG (extra urban)
Increase of around 7.5% over quoted best figure (which wouldn't have included town driving)

Here is the interesting bit, the trip counter was showing a average of 80.4mpg for the tank, actual figure was 72mpg, this means that the trip counter MPG is 10% out - the same as the difference with the speedo reading.

I will see how the drive goes this week as it should improve further owing to the change in filters etc, will keep everyone posted.

Initial conclusion with the mini service and 2 stroke is that its much smoother and there is more mid range punch at around 2k rpm, much smoother power delivery vs last week.

I still need to change the oil but have the filter, will be ordering a reconditioned high pressure pump as well as a new timing belt kit with water pump and get everything refreshed.

Thanks for that, I will have a think about it, I have just worked on the car a bit more, here is what I have done:

Change air filter
Changed oil filter - no metal shards in the old filter meaning the HP pump is ok at the moment
Added injector cleaner
Added 2 stroke

The old filters were 'ok' but a bit mucky, with this mini service the car is smoother and is more responsive with some additional low down torque - I was looking for better throttle response so it seems that this has worked.

I have also refilled the car, here are the details (for MPG):

Total filled : 25.4 litres
Total miles covered: 402miles
Journey during this trip was around 85% motorway, with 1 day last week where I was stuck in a traffic jam
MPG: 72 mpg
Manufacture quoted MPG: 67 MPG (extra urban)
Increase of around 7.5% over quoted best figure (which wouldn't have included town driving)

Here is the interesting bit, the trip counter was showing a average of 80.4mpg for the tank, actual figure was 72mpg, this means that the trip counter MPG is 10% out - the same as the difference with the speedo reading.

I will see how the drive goes this week as it should improve further owing to the change in filters etc, will keep everyone posted.

Did you run it to completely empty though? Just as a thought of why it could have been wrong

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
The above clearly doesn't make sense. I've had it over read as well. I just accept it's pretty good on fuel but don't worth too much about the odd mpg here and there. It works out as about a quid or two per tank which isn't worth the fuss! Cars with newer injectors do seems to have more accurate figures though so I wonder if this is to do with the leak off

I just wanted to see what sort of fuel economy it had when I got it, plus the throttle response over the daily commute, I can report that with the change in fuel filter and air filter, plus the 2 stroke, its much smoother and there is a bit more punch, I never run cars completely empty (especially with this high pressure fuel pump!), this was brim to brim, its good enough though, I will do a few more tests such as the leak off at some point, pretty pleased with it though.

I have just ordered a timing belt kit with water pump and will be getting a recon high pressure pump to be fitted all together as its about time for it to be done.

Ah you meant fuel filter makes sence now thought it was odd you were looking for fuel pump shards in the oil filter haha!!

I would be concerned if there were shards in the oil filter!

Anyone who has a DCi should swap over their fuel filter, the car feels smoother and also has a bit more torque at the lower end - I guess that the fuel filter can actually supply the fuel the pump is wanting easier.

Small update on this, car is running well, currently looking into colour coding the door strips, I have also unbolted the intake snokel from the air box, there has been an improvement in throttle response and it feels smoother to drive (now the engine is getting all the air it needs), it also gives a bit more of a 'meaty' engine noise on idle.

I was also looking at getting a front strut brace and came across a front strut washer fix kit - my car has a slight knock every now and then on the front and apparently its common for the strut tops to be causing it, I might look into this over the week to see if it is that. I think the car is on its original struts so I might look into upgrading the struts and springs all in 1 go.

Car is currently averaging around 70 mpg without me needing to drive carefully, I also have a full timing belt, tensioner and water pump kit to get fitted, and will get a reconditioned high pressure fuel pump at the same time.