ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac greedy. Plus help needed - Parallels.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Decided to upgrade my MBA to a MBP at the weekend after running out of hard drive space.
Desk looked a little loaded this afternoon!

IMG_1668.gif

Need a bit of help however.

I run parallels for Windows XP for CAD software and CNC programs. The MBA is 4GB with 1.7ghz i5 processor. The MBP is 4GB 2.4ghz i5 processor, so was expecting if anything the Pro to be faster. However when in Windows programs such as AutoCAD take 3 times as long to open and be useable on the MBP?
Settings for parallels are the same on both computers.

Any tips on improving the speed, as currently it's a large step back!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its because of the SSD in the air, to get the speed back you need to bin the optical drive and replace it with an SSD.
(and put the OS on the SSD)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not liking that...bit beyond my ability.

On parallels settings it only recommends about 1.5gb to dedicate to the virtual machine, saying anymore will slow it down? Why? I always thought bigger was better?!
also has an option for 1,2,3 or 4 CPU's. Any idea what that means?!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Boot camp won't support XP though, not with Lion.
Thats why I've gone down the parallels route.

Why do they make computers so complicated?!!!

Whats the difference with the SSD and a normal hard drive that affects speed? I always though processor and RAM were speed, hard drive was storage?!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'd boot camp it. Sorry didnt read that right, thought you were using it already.

Use the windows 8 RC if you dont have 7, that should keep you going until october.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
The OS has nothing to do with boot camp I don't think dude. I've got Lion and I am running XP on there.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
How did you do that Luke?! I could only find forums saying it wasn't possible on Lion?!

If you can do it for me And it does what I need I'll give you £65 (parallels price!)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm sure we tried it on my MBA last year, but will have another go tomorrow!
If it works I'll drop you a pm ;)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I have to have XP for various reasons. Nothing else will work.