ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hard Core Computer Geeks Help Required

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
bit of a different one but I'm lost and don't know where to turn next.

so I had a dell 1750 laptop running windows 7 which I used to run both my cnc machines, never had a problem. I could run a cnc machine, surf the web, have cad open and cam program without a single issue. due to its age it died after being patched up a few times.

it was nothing fancy, 4gb of ram, but it did have a really good processor in it something like p9988 or similar

so I got a brand new Dell Inspiron 15.6" 15-5558 Laptop, Intel Core i3 6GB/1TB, again nothing fancy but thought it was up to the job - but how wrong was I.

every 3-5mins when my cnc is running I get a low data error in mach3. ive tried setting mach3 priority to high in task manager, I have nothing open other than mach3 which runs the cnc machine. ive even put the laptop in aeroplane mode, but without fail after 3-5mins I get a low data error and the machine stops. its got to the point now where I cant use my machines which is causing real issues.

so to add some context to what I'm talking about.

my cnc machines have a Ethernet smooth stepper in them - http://warp9td.com/
the laptop runs mach3, which talks to the Ethernet smooth stepper - http://www.machsupport.com/software/mach3/

when I changed laptops I copied my mach3 profile and settings over, so other than the laptop nothing has changed. one thing to note, previous laptop was W7 new one if W10.

there is some info on what to do if you get this error, which ive done and its makes no difference -
(not sure if ive tried changing the controller frequency as it goes, must do that over the weekend)

(My ESS has Watchdog or Ran Out of Data Messages in Mach3. )
http://warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-mach3#WatchdogOrRunsOutOfData

there is clearly something up with the laptop that mach3 and the Ethernet smooth stepper don't like, but I'm totally lost. no idea what to do next.
my current only option is to buy another laptop probably running windows 7, I just don't know what else to do.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe Win10 is not supported fully yet. Looking on the Mach3 page...

Software Requirements
Mach3 Minimum Recommended Requirements:
Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:
  • Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
  • 32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
  • 1Ghz CPU
  • 512MB RAM
  • Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)
Requirements if using an external motion device for machine control:
  • An appropriate external motion controller (options can be found on the Plugins page)
  • Desktop or Laptop with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
  • 1Ghz CPU
  • 512MB RAM
  • Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)