ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac or PC

R27 LY
Which one to go for I like the new iMacs but the cost about a 900 but I can get a dell or mesh computer for about 600 fully loaded. Is it worth that extra money for the Mac and also what are the Macs like for connecting to a home network. I watched a few videos about the Macs, but really is it as easy as they say it is to use. I would be using it for internet, music, photos

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Mac, but I'm sure a PC owner will be along soon to spout some "chinese whispers" about macs.

Hyundai i40
i must admit, macs are better, miles better in fact

but as a PC owner now, for would i use my computer for, browsing the internet, downloading tunes etc, i didnt think that i needed to pay double and get a MAC

you've got to think what do you use your computer for

My main use is internet so i need nothing more than a basic laptop

My one which is pretty good only cost £400

also use to do my head in switching from a pc at work to a mac at home

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I switch every day Sarah.....makes me feel good knowing I am going home at night to do Photoshop in the Knowledge that My Mac won't crash.
We have brand new pc's at work...brand new cs3 (genuine) and my pc crashes 4/5 times a day...so frustrating.

Beno have you considered a macbook??....pick one up for £715 brand new.
upgrade the RAM for £70..have yourself a little flying machine...
THAT WILL WORK

Monaco Ph2 172
Mac - by miles.

Even if you are just using a computer for browsing, e-mail, photos, music, etc., a mac is far nicer to use and navigate around. Mac OS is light-years ahead of Windows as Macs are a lot easier to 'housekeep' and they aren't effected by viruses either.

Yes, a mac may cost more to start with but they have a longer usable lifespan and higher residual value. The only thing that lets macs down is games!

Cheap refurbed macbooks! http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTIzMzE&nclm=Certified

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I use Mac at work, PC at home and occasionaly Mac at home. If I hadn't spent so much building the PC I would have got a MBP rather than a MB and would use that all the time instead.. :( (in other words... Mac is better :D ).

T

thecremeegg

2 major flaws with MAcs for me - price and cant play games. If you can stomoach the rip off price at the start then get a Mac

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Hi, give Apple a ring and be honest and say look - i want this iMac but its 900£, i can get this dell at this price...why should i pay the extra for an apple?

My friend did this and they gave him a huge discount...so much so it made it alot cheaper than the rivaled sony viao!

Mac over PC, as for gaming I cant be bothered with the hassle of upgrading PC's every five minutes and having to check requirements on boxes so MAC + Console for gaming FTW.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
2 major flaws with MAcs for me - price and cant play games. If you can stomoach the rip off price at the start then get a Mac

What games can't you play?

Even if you wanted to play a game that much, just get parallel desktop like me and run windows on there :)

when i run windows on parrallel it runs quicker than what a normal windows pc would run with the spec i have!

R27 LY
I switch every day Sarah.....makes me feel good knowing I am going home at night to do Photoshop in the Knowledge that My Mac won't crash.
We have brand new pc's at work...brand new cs3 (genuine) and my pc crashes 4/5 times a day...so frustrating.

Beno have you considered a macbook??....pick one up for £715 brand new.
upgrade the RAM for £70..have yourself a little flying machine...
THAT WILL WORK

I thought about a macbook but would they be fast enough for my needs

R27 LY
what are like for connecting with a home network for the internet since the rest of the computer in my house are pc

R27 LY
Another question what are the Mac books like for batteries are the like the ipods after a couple of months start to fade then you have to get a new one.

SLK 350

I suggest you speak to your IT department, that's just down to either dodg hardware, some sort of half arsed image process or a wider issue. PC can and should run any Adobe software all day long.

I'm on neither 'bus' but it's not like Macs are immune somehow to kernel panics and crashing.

Beno, looking at a decent 3/4 hours use on a normal Macbook, but with the upgraded graphics cards in Macbook Pro it can kill them quicker.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
what are like for connecting with a home network for the internet since the rest of the computer in my house are pc

Piece of piss :)

I've had no trouble with any of my routers, i'm networked to my families windows laptops also and my mini server and all is well.

It's always the pc's dying that interrupt my networking!

I genuinely like windows and have used it since for yearrrrss but the small problems that always reoccur were enough to push me over the edge.

My first install of windows xp on my mac (parrallel desktop) ended up with the blue screen of death lol. all sorted now though so if i ever need to use windows i just press alt+enter ;)

personally i'd say mac, i'm a little biased but able to take a clear view, they do just work and are a pleasure to use with some very nice touches, time capsule for backups, spaces and expose for switching between apps.

some excellent deals on macbooks around at moment £599 i think i saw recently inc. VAT for the end of line previous models, which are still perfect they're just 0.1GHz slower than the new ones wow big deal! lol

you wont regret it and always plenty of people on here to help u out if u get stuck with anything

182 RB FF
Just went and bought a Macbook Pro today. Its great and i've fallen in love with it already. Little things are tricky to get used to but go or a mac ;)

R27 LY
How quick are they for everyday use using a base model Mac book or imac I cant decide spending anther couple a hundreds more will be better for my needs ill be only surfing and play with photos and a bit of music? I would rather have to iMac but is the 20inch 2.66 GHz fast enough or would I be better getting the 24inch 2.8 GHz. Does putting more ram in from a different company effect your warranty since apple price are mad. Just can’t decide what to go for out of the Mac range.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Unless you have a specific need for a larger display then I'd say laptop every single time - even if it's just for the ability to move from room to room freely.

2.66 be more than plenty, only time you'll see difference with processor speed is things like heavy heavy audio or video work, you'll be more than fine with the 2.66, 3rd party ram is fine and a portion of the price, crucial is your friend. get it done! :)

Monaco Ph2 172
Unless you have a specific need for a larger display then I'd say laptop every single time - even if it's just for the ability to move from room to room freely.

I think it's the opposite way round... unless you need to move from place to place, then I don't see the point in a laptop. After a few hours you are just going to have to plug it in anyway! :p

R27 LY
Had a look at iMac in pc world yesturday look at the imac really like the 20inch model 24 to big. I felt it would hurt your eyes after some time. Had a look at a Macbook dint like them much to small. So looks like I am going to get a iMac

visualize whirled pe
I've had both my Macs about 6 years now (G4 dual and Powerbook). In that time I strongly feel mine have been value for money. My G4 litterally helped me so much on my degree, then I started freelancing and they have paid for themselves over 100 times.

It's fair to say that Macs will occasionally crash but it's nothing compaired to the PC's I've owned. My mac book hasnt been shut down in about 3 months it's nice to always have it trickle charging so I can open the lid if I quickly want to look on the net or resize stuff on Photoshop.

I love computers in general and remember all the PC's I've owned fondly, but I'm never going back to using windows again by choice, unless that's what they have in a studio I temp work at. I just prefer macs now and they make my life easier.
All the companies I mostly work for use Mac's and they never have an issue with my files or colour setting for print.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol at macs not crashing, very very very rarely does my windows xp comp crash, usually when i'm titing about and there is viruses out there for macs.

P.S i've never used a MAC, don't see how one could be better for what i do anyway/

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv always been a PC fan, and i have no problems at all with my current PC running vista. its been on for about 3 weeks now with no problems and it does everything I could ever want it to do.

I am tempted to buy a macbook pro though to see what all the fuss is about.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I've spent all morning trying to install vista on my new machine at work...

..I'm still trying. Took about 1 1/2 hours to install (kept randomly crashing) and now keeps crashing. I can't even install the motherboard drivers without it crashing - and they won't install in safe mode either.

Grade 'A' f**king crap. Seriously bored of this now.

Ubuntu installed and worked first time without issue.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

..I'm still trying. Took about 1 1/2 hours to install (kept randomly crashing) and now keeps crashing. I can't even install the motherboard drivers without it crashing - and they won't install in safe mode either.

User error;)
Never had a problem with XP.

D

dick

i cant get on with mac's

probly coz im used to Pc's.

i wouldnt have a mac personally.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

User error;)

That's because XP is better than vista, which is quite frankly the biggest piece of crap ever!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv not had any bother with vista ultimate, running it on 2 pc's at home, straight on, no driver worries, no crashes or anything. my vista media center pc has been on for weeks now with no probs, runs nice even on an old P4 3.0ghz machine with 1gb ram and my main pc has been the same. Ii do a lot of graphic intense stuff, and have loads of apps running at any one time.

Better than yours. C*nt.

User error or unsupported hardware.

Sorry, but it's the truth. Get over it. Tens of computers installing Vista and the only times I've had it go wrong is when I've used incorrect RAID drivers, or when I've been trying to run WDDM and XPDM display cards simultaneously. Both my fault.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

User error or unsupported hardware.

Sorry, but it's the truth. Get over it. Tens of computers installing Vista and the only times I've had it go wrong is when I've used incorrect RAID drivers, or when I've been trying to run WDDM and XPDM display cards simultaneously. Both my fault.

I would do, but I can't install the drivers without it crashing!

User error can be ruled out. As for unsupported hardware, this little lot is hardly obscure.

GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard
GeForce 8800 GT graphics card
Q9450 Core2Quad processor
2GB DDR3 RAM

Machine works perfectly in Ubuntu, but vista just crashes non-stop. Even struggled to get it to install, it kept crashing, once where it refused to continue after booting and I had to start again.

Thank f**k I can limit my exposure to vista otherwise I'd go nuts.

Mitsubishi Colt
User error;)

That's because XP is better than vista, which is quite frankly the biggest piece of crap ever!

Luckily your above statement's wrong!

Has to be something it doesn't like about the hardware that's causing the instability. I've stuck it on about 200 machines now and every single one is fine.... only issues I've seen have been where a machine's got slightly dicky RAM, after which a replacement has sorted it.

Personally, for this thread, I'd go for a Mac desktop that runs Bootcamp for Vista, so I get the best of both worlds when I need it (although I'd more likely be Vista most of the time).

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Luckily your above statement's wrong!

What part is wrong? That's it's crap? Even if it wasn't crashing, it's still crap. It's a miserable failure.

If I didn't have to install it I'd go with XP, but unfortunately I do have to do some development work on vista.

Roll on Windows 7 when hopefully the "car crash of vista" will be distance memory.

Luckily for me I don't have to suffer the shiteness that is vista.