ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook, MacBook pro or just a laptop?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
it was the whole laptop which crashed, not safari. just mentioned i was using safari in case anyone said it was the software i'd installed which could be the cause.

not a massive issue as its very quick to boot on an ssd, but to have 3 years of non crashing vista (people are always slating vista as being rubbish) and the my 2 week old one to have done it twice is not what i expected.

That is very odd, when you say crashed, what exactly happened? Spinning beach ball? Completely froze? Kernel Panic (Very obvious, black screen telling to you reboot)?

An application that freezes can be "force quit" by hitting command+option+esc or by going to the apple menu, depending on how the application has frozen it may appear that you can't access the apple menu, in that case click away from the application to the finder and then you'll be able to access it.

I've not seen a "frozen mac" or a kernel panic for a long time, probably going back to Puma. If it continues to do it, I'd reinstall OS X and see if that fixes it.

Vista is more stable than OSX now?

FLOL!

I've been using Macs for around 18 months now and the OS has never crashed. I've had Safari needing a force-quit, but that was due to Flash fucksing it ups. Vista crashes when you put a USB stick in FFS :D

The only time my iMac at work gets restarted is when it needs updates installed! And it gets used for around 8 hours a day!

Never crashed either. Stuff can hang but just force quit from the dock. Sounds like somethings gubbed ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
That is very odd, when you say crashed, what exactly happened? Spinning beach ball? Completely froze? Kernel Panic (Very obvious, black screen telling to you reboot)?

An application that freezes can be "force quit" by hitting command+option+esc or by going to the apple menu, depending on how the application has frozen it may appear that you can't access the apple menu, in that case click away from the application to the finder and then you'll be able to access it.

I've not seen a "frozen mac" or a kernel panic for a long time, probably going back to Puma. If it continues to do it, I'd reinstall OS X and see if that fixes it.

The whole thing completely froze, nothing would work, only thing I could do was hold down the power button to reset it.

Rav4
Ah ok, gotcha, see what you mean. Apologies, I got confuzzled :)

Vista is ok, it really just depends on the hardware you are using and how you maintain your machine, as you well know.

I still find windows easier to use than a mac for general stuff.................

Glad you bought one though, let me know when you get bored, i'll buy it :)

it was the whole laptop which crashed, not safari. just mentioned i was using safari in case anyone said it was the software i'd installed which could be the cause.

not a massive issue as its very quick to boot on an ssd, but to have 3 years of non crashing vista (people are always slating vista as being rubbish) and the my 2 week old one to have done it twice is not what i expected.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The whole thing completely froze, nothing would work, only thing I could do was hold down the power button to reset it.

Oh dear, that sounds more like a hardware issue to me.

I'd re-install (purely to take your current installation out of the equation), if it still happens then I'd take it back to Apple and get it swapped out, it really shouldn't be doing that. The machine isn't overly warm when it happens is it?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The problem with OS X vs Windows Whatever, is that most of the good stuff is buried deep and you cant show easily show/explain it.

Things such as search .. within literally no time at all, hit CMD+Space and type in 'something' and it'll find every reference in documents, photos, emails (in apple mail), internet history and anything else it finds with 'something' in it... Try that on Windows and you'll be there for 3 or 4 minutes and it still wont give you whnt you want.

My point is that no one is going to buy a laptop based on the little things you won't even notice make your day easier and more efficient.

Try one .. find a mate with one, and have a play around. The way they set them up in the Apple store is just retarded IMO. The mouse is too slow, theres no right click, theres no hot corners.

All the simple stuff which makes it work smoothly is turned off ! Thing is most people won't care, they'll just buy one anyway, or go to PC World :dapprove:

I've just sold my 2 year old 13.3" MB for £600 .. It cost me £900 back in 2009 and still works flawlessly and just as quick as back then ... show me a windows based laptop which will give you a ~70% return after 2 years...!

Haters gonna hate.

IMAG0233.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Taking expensive things apart scares me :eek:

My iMac will get more ram one day. Just not yet.

Best thing you can do for them mate. Honestly.

Three screws and two little tabs.

Just make sure you push the boards right in... I knew someone who didn't and tried to boot with no RAM. :eek:

Good to see someone with a proper screen Adam!

God knows how people use glossy screens. That is the main reason why I won't by a iMac yet. If I did buy one, I'd have to wait until night to use it!!

I was in a similar position back in September last year.

As you are probably aware there is alot of choice when it comes to laptops. At the time i had a £700 Samsung and I was certain that I was going to replace it with another more expensive Samsung. I spoke to a few friends in the know and they said i would be crazy not to go for a Mac at my price range. I mainly only use a laptop for internet, music and the occasional work related documents.

I wanted fast, clever and reliable laptop. Long run time and enough memory for all my documents.

In the end i went for a MacBook as i couldn't justify a MacBook Pro for what i use a laptop for. I'm very happy with the purchase and have no regret. I'd previously never used Mac operating systems and wasn't sure I'd get on with it. So many benefits with Mac compared with any other computers.

One thing i will say is, Believe me your'll never go back to windows!