ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Valuation

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
This is not a for sale thread FYI, I'd just like some apple guru's opinion on how much my MBP would go for second hand.

It's the 13" 11 months old, 2 years 1 month apple care left on it, mint condition. I'm unsure upon exact spec as it's not in front of me but I think its 2.3 core 2 duo 250GB HDD and 4GB of ram...

Cheers apple peoples.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's more like it...

In your opinion, would I be mental to sell up and get a higher spec new 13" or even a 15"??

I can get student discount and applecare again...

Yes. Difference is negligible.

If you want to change, wait for the MBP re-design (April at a guess) and buy a 13" with a better screen.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
OK fair point, just thought the newer ones with thunderbolt and the i7 chip may have been worth the upgrade, if there is a better screen coming for a 13, and that's a big if, I'll 1000% get that.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The new 13"'s are s**t. I'm going to replace mine in april. No bump in res = macbook air thanks.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
No one actually uses thunderbolt. It's a proper waste of time. 10gbps, you'd think this was pretty cool yes? Wrong. What HDD can write at that speed? It's properly pointless. the cinema display with thunderbolt was a wise move as it free's up your USB ports on your machine and provides extra ports on the display itself. Other than that I can't think of any situation where it may be worth using over conventional methods.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You don't really need i7 to spam ClioSport and look at websites for dresses and pretty shoes.

Excuse me, but I've recently started undertaking bits and bobs of design work again. (and those shoe website are getting more processor intensive with all the animations etc) :eek:

No one actually uses thunderbolt. It's a proper waste of time. 10gbps, you'd think this was pretty cool yes? Wrong. What HDD can write at that speed? It's properly pointless. the cinema display with thunderbolt was a wise move as it free's up your USB ports on your machine and provides extra ports on the display itself. Other than that I can't think of any situation where it may be worth using over conventional methods.

It's a fair point, my main use for it would have been if I treated myself to a screen.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Nobody used USB when it came out.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Nobody used USB when it came out.

There was a major reason behind that, mainly that it was (and still is) horrifically over complicated to implement (you could tell that Microsoft had a hand in the spec).

Not only that, but windows 98 didn't come with a whole load of class drivers, so if you wanted to create a USB device, you had to debug both your device side and windows driver at the same time and trying to locate a bug in USB communication was difficult because it could occur at either end.

Of course, as time has gone by operating system support has got much better and developers have got to grips with USB's quirks.

Apple dumping legacy connectivity from their computers is also a massive factor in USB's success.

It's still s**t though, and I've developed quite a lot of devices that use USB in either device or host mode. It still gives me nightmares.

You also have to bear in mind that thunderbolt is essentially PCI express, so once the chipset costs start coming down, hardware manufacturers can make their PCI express products thunderbolt compatible by just adding the frontend chipset. No tweaks required in drivers at either side (device or host).

Last edited: