ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macro extension tubes

Cupra
Has anybody here used them? They are a lot cheaper than a new marcro lens and some of the photos I have seen taken using them are awesome.

Opinions?

Haven't used extension tubes myself, heard very good things about them but also that they can be hard to use. They don't degrade the quality of the image as there is no glass involved, but they are more suited to still-life macro shots, rather than insects etc.

Macro Filters are pretty good as well, I bought a Hoya +4 Close-up Adaptor for £15 (literally just like a screw on filter) and I was amazed at the results.

This is with the standard Nikon D50 18-55mm Kit Lens at 55mm with the +4 screwed on...

(warning: spider content)
http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/102732831-L.jpg

Yup used them a lot, if your going to shoot anything that can move I'd recommend having an external flash! The working distance can be very very small and its hard to get enough light to the subject and depth of field becomes tiny.

Cupra
That photo is awsome. I have seen some for about 60 quid so might invest... this is one expensive month

Its your fault Chris, you started this whole photography thing up again and it re-kindled my habit. lol