ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Magnecor Blue 8mm HT lead problems

197 Clio Sport
I am currently talking to Magnecor about the HT leads, my problem was a hesitation when pulling out of junctions, or slowing down to turn in and accelerating again(pulling at low revs). Over the last year I have bought TDC sensors, Coil pack, 4 sets of plugs, 2 diagnostic dealer runs, 2 sets of Magnecor 8mm blue leads and genuine Renault HT leads. The problem is fixed now and was the HT leads at the end. 1st time after diagnostic checking coil pack change and plugs, I bought Magnecor leads and when they were fitted fixed the problem. Ten months later the problem came back and the Magnecor leads being apparently so good and new I changed everything again but them with no luck except some fine black lines down the side of plugs 3 & 4 insulators (opposite side from the gear box). I drove the car for another 2 months until a few near ones pulling out of junctions and the car not picking up. At this point I went through everything again and the last option was to change the leads which fixed it the first time, so needing my car every day I purchased another set of Magnecor 8mm blue leads in the hope if they fixed the problem I could send back the first set for refund or whatever than take a chance on a different make. The new leads fixed the problem but only for a month and the hesitation started to happen again so I contacted Magnecor and told them of my problem. They were insistent that it my car was the problem a fuel mix or sensor was causing it after checking the plugs again I found heaver black lines down the side of plugs 3&4 which lined up with vertical scratches on the plug terminals where the leads connect. Final straw I bought new plugs, coil pack and genuine leads in order to prove to Magnecor that I believed there leads where the problem with the boot and plug connection.
The genuine leads have in my opinion heaver/stiffer rubber and tighter fit around the plug and in the plug engine holes with less possibility of vibration and side forces from leads 3&4 which go over a breather pipe causing wear on the plug terminals. I tried all combinations of changing plugs, coil packs form old to new and then by fitting genuine leads and going back to old coil pack and plugs fixed the problem and has run that way for over a month and nearing 600miles.
After pointing this out to Magnecor along with photos they say the problem is still with my car and sensors but will if I post back the leads test them but insist that they sell many of these and no complaints but could not explain how a faulty sensor could tell when genuine leads where fitted and ran fine or messed about when Magnecor leads where on, Also I can’t see an MAP or BAP sensor or fuel mix sending a spark down the outside of a plug.

Anyway can someone post any problems reoccurring after using Magnecor blue 8mm leads or plug flashover problems. Have you ever tried to send back the leads or contacted the company with similar problems and results.

Thanks

172 phII
A couple of friends of mine have used 8 mm blue Magnecor leads on their 172 phII clios and they both had problems with them, the engine was not running smooth - the throttle response was not so agile as it should be too.
After changing to OEM leads all of these problems disappeared.

On my car I use 8,5 mm leads from the same company nad I have not encountered any problems so far.

My subjective opinion is also that the connection between the leads and coil pack should be stiffer. OEM leads to this much better. Only a slight move and the leads can be disconnected from the coil pack which can lead to disconnection of the spark.

Magnecor being a one of the worlds top ignition leads manufacturer should take there problems seriously and should show their professionalism by responding to them adequately.

If any further contact is necessary please feel free to contact me at any time via email.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had problems with Magnecor before. They're just not man enough for the job.

Genuine Renault seem to be the only ones any good tbh.

172 phII
Ive opened a topic on my native forum http://www.renault-klub.hr/forum/ and the impressions, complaints that the members have so far are as follows:

1. they dont tighten, seal as good as the OEM ones
2. engine, throttle response is not as good as with the OEM ones
3. engine doesnt run smooth and idle smooth
4. some of the people mentioned durability and the fact that they loose their properties a lot sooner then the OEM ones
5. Part F ( dont know the English terminology for that part, please look at the illustration below) is poorly made and the spark escapes there
6. One friend of mine mentioned that the spart was escaping even through the cable itself

I have also to mention that people complain more to the blue 8mm ones then the 8,5 mm red ones. Some people didnt have any complains whatsoever but they are in minority.

After taking all of this into consideration I am seriousli thinking of switching to OEM ones again.

314yuz5.png

EDIT - a frind of mine just aslo mentioned that a similar discussion was going on the UK Punto GT forum

Last edited:
  197 Clio Sport
This is the problems I faced with the leads, after buying 2 sets of Magnecor 8mm blue in about a year have to use original leads to fix the problem. I changed TDC sensor, coil pack, plugs in different combinations but the original leads fixed the hesitation accelerating from low speed and rpm. Magnecor will look at the leads but in the same breath say there is nothing wrong with them and the car is at fault. Please has anyone had this from Magnecor please post.

Proofofeverythingboughttofix.jpg
Plugsshouldlast70000miles.jpg

I believe the lead itself is good but the boot and the connection to the plugs is not up to the job see the flash over on the side of plugs 4 & 3 to the left of the picture. Magnecor said fuel mix and low compression could be my problem, now I cant see how that can cause the spark to go down the side of the plug and fix it's self when origional leads are fitted.
Whats your thoughts?
I need feedback in order to prove the lead is not up to the job, both sets failed on plugs 3 & 4 you can see if the boots are not tight to the plug and in the holes = vibration, wear and then bad contact and flashover.
Fitting1.jpg