ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Magnet against iPhone/iPod

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Will having a strong magnet behind an iPhone/iPod for long periods of time have any adverse effects on the device?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The power supply in it has inductors in it.

Putting a strong magnetic field near it may cause the power supply to collapse (the device will reset).

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
bugger, thats no good. i need something strong enough just to keep it in place against the forces you come across is a car

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
doesnt fit in where i want it to. basically i have a docking station that im putting in the car so the only thing that would hold it in against the forces in the car (cornering, braking etc) is the charging plug. i was hoping to have a magnet behind the phone and a metal strip behind the case so it stays put

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
thats not a bad idea! would mean having velcro on the back of my phone then tho...

i only thought magnet because of how simple it would be to drop it in the cradle and pull it out again

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Get a s**tty case lol I had Velcro on an old case to stick it to my dash :p

Just stick a generic phone mount onto that dock you have and fibreglass it to look flush/OEM

trouble with those generic mounts is theyre s**t lol.

i need to find something that doesnt look s**t, works well but is also inconspicuous (sp?)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
The power supply in it has inductors in it.

Putting a strong magnetic field near it may cause the power supply to collapse (the device will reset).

if the metal plate is on the phone side, i dont see this being a problem as it would act as shielding...

Now Sold :-(
I use one of these. Small disc on the back of the phone locks into the mount. Simple twist off.

Sorry just read your post again and see you are looking for something that will work with a dock. This won't work as you have to twist it in/out.

Last edited by a moderator:
  CBR1000RR Fireblade
I use a PDA holder off e bay. It clips to the vents in any vehicle and holds my iPhone firmly in place.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
that m2 mount was looking good until you had to swivel it in :( lol

i havent got any vents in a good place for your conventional PDA holder. plus i want to put my phone in the car onto this dock where its connected to my stereo and forget about it untill its time to get out of the car

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
trouble with those generic mounts is theyre s**t lol.

i need to find something that doesnt look s**t, works well but is also inconspicuous (sp?)

Are they f**k lol, I got one for £8 and it hasn't failed me once... If I have some free time tomorrow I'll take some photos and do a doodle for you if you like?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Are they f**k lol, I got one for £8 and it hasn't failed me once... If I have some free time tomorrow I'll take some photos and do a doodle for you if you like?

lol knock yourself out :p

i have a £5 in the shed and thats broken a few times, not to mention its cheap and plasticky :p perhaps i should have forked out the extra £3 lol

CBR1000RR Fireblade

i havent got any vents in a good place for your conventional PDA holder. plus i want to put my phone in the car onto this dock where its connected to my stereo and forget about it untill its time to get out of the car

Thats what I have done in a few cars and both my vans. PDA holderon a vent, in car charger in and AUX lead in.

Job done

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what I have done in a few cars and both my vans. PDA holderon a vent, in car charger in and AUX lead in.

Job done

i dotn want that, at the risk of sounding lazy, thats too much effort lol.

i just want to put the phone in a holder not faff about loking for charging leads and jack leads etc and have it do evrything i want. plus like i said no usable vents

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Alright, it'll give me something to do on the way to Wigan tomorrow lol... I got it because I'm a queer and like to take photos ha, it doesn't cover the camera so you can take long exposure shots on the move :p I know that's not what you want but meh haha.

Youre mounting it at the bottom of the dash by the cig lighter aren't you?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yes its going in the middle in front of the gearstick under the heater controls if you can make it out in this s**t picture :p

Wires2.jpg

theres a little tray at the bottom of the picture where the docking station is going

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Aww I didn't notice the quality you were expecting lol

heres the mount

f7b11ae3.jpg

153f441b.jpg

And here's a quick sketch, you may have to chop a bit off something then glue/plastic weld and filler

cae550e0.jpg

I could make a full 3d model if you like ;)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
lol thats a goiod drawing haha.

could mess about i supose. im going down there later i think may mess about a bit then

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah thats similar to what i have in my daily but its shite lol. dont the sides break off all the time?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
IMO, get a thin case, the clip around the edges kind with a plain back, then use the velcro idea.

Means there's no permenant bit of velcro on the phone, and no twist lock etc.

They're cheap as chips for one without a name too.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
IMO, get a thin case, the clip around the edges kind with a plain back, then use the velcro idea.

Means there's no permenant bit of velcro on the phone, and no twist lock etc.

They're cheap as chips for one without a name too.

I have a case on the phone that I wouldn't mind putting Velcro on it was just the ease of use I would get with a magnet. But if it's going to mess the phone up I may try Velcro or other ideas :)

Now Sold :-(

Given this some thought...
If you attach the retaining disc upside down it will just slot in and hold in place until you lift straight up to remove.
It only turns to lock. You don't need to lock as the dock will hold it.

Last edited:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Given this some thought...
If you attach the retaining disc upside down it will just slot in and hold in place until you lift straight up to remove.
It only turns to lock. You don't need to lock as the dock will hold it.

Ahh now your thinking! As long as it slots in and it has a support behind it to slot in then it won't move anywhere!

Cant do anything until the dash is back in yet tho :(

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Sorted this out by lying the phone Flat on a little bed.

Here is a poor picture lol...
e46070de.jpg

Phone sits on the raised bit and plugs into the dock which is sat upright between the 'bed" and the gear gaitor hole :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks :) allows me to use iPod and future iStuff now too unless the rumours of apple changing plugs are true then I may require an adaptor :(