ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Main bearing wear

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
Hi all, was in the process of resealing my end cap for the crank along with a new crank seal as it's been leaking badly. I've removed the main bearing from the cap and I just want your opinions on the wear of it would I be stupid just leaving it as is and sending it or should I potentially be looking at an engine overhaul? I also have some deep scoring on some of the exhaust cam journals.

PXL_20240512_114353394.jpg

PXL_20240512_114401017.jpg

PXL_20240512_115535445.jpg

PXL_20240519_173237755.jpg

PXL_20240519_173231198.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240512_114349621.jpg
    PXL_20240512_114349621.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Main bearing to my eyes doesn't look too bad however you are in there... it wouldn't be much work to just do them, if you are I would be checking big ends too.

The cam journal is harder to sort but also more 'doable' with the engine in place (head off).

Is this a track car? Has it been low on oil pressure at some point?

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
Main bearing to my eyes doesn't look too bad however you are in there... it wouldn't be much work to just do them, if you are I would be checking big ends too.

The cam journal is harder to sort but also more 'doable' with the engine in place (head off).

Is this a track car? Has it been low on oil pressure at some point?
Yeah, I was thinking of checking the big ends as well. Is it possible to fix the cam journals without spending loads getting it machined?

I feel like it would probably be easier getting another cylinder head due to the damage. Wasn't a track car from my knowledge I bought it 5 years ago and it's served me well it's now on 165000 miles I've put 45000 of them on. The car had little to no service history when I bought it. Before I started doing some work I won't lie I've started to hear a small tapping like noise from the engine on cold idle which disappeared with revs and when it warmed up.
That, is standard f4r. They all have shite oil pressure.
Very true! I've got an updated pump to go in it so that might help things I hope. I'm tempted to just pull the engine out and change the bearings new rings etc just a complete refresh I know the bores like to oval on these so I'm hoping I don't find anything sinister. The other option is just forgetting about it and just change the bottom end bearings possibly and leave it at that.

I had good compression before I stripped it down about 180psi on each cylinder. However it is burning a small amount of oil.