ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MAJOR electric window prob... HELP!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
PLEASE HELP

After buying some ph1 172 door cards and fitting them I have come accross a serious problem. The ph1 172 switches did not fit as my electric windows seem like an after thought.

These are the switches in question
window.jpg

You can even see (from the back) where the door card has been hacked with something and then these fitted over the top.

It seems due to these being an after thought the motors in the doors work in a totally different way to those in all other mk2's.

There is still six wires going in, but no "up" or "down" wire, but instead one wire which has the polarity reversed negative/positive etc. I can only assume this changes the direction of the motor and moves the window up and down.

Totally stuck now on what to do as my new door cards and handles have no switches, just switches gaffa taped to the door card to I can use them.

Any ideas/help appreciated.

Da

Less
So your ph1 has an aftermarket non OE electric window kit?
That being the case, is it possible to retro-fit the correct motors from a 172 (or similar)??

Have you not looked further along the wires, like behind the hinge of the door to see if you have any connectors etc. You may then be able to get something from a clio to fit.

Just a thought

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So your ph1 has an aftermarket non OE electric window kit?
That being the case, is it possible to retro-fit the correct motors from a 172 (or similar)??

Ok.... the switches are not after market, I know this as the car has been in my family for its entire life.

The switches were fit by renault, but as my car is a very early Ph1 I can only assume my great uncle requested electric windows and renault just shoved them in.

Getting motors from any other clio seems like it may be an option, as there are three wires from my loom that would not need replacing (live, earth and illumination) then I'd just need to run the other three.

Have you not looked further along the wires, like behind the hinge of the door to see if you have any connectors etc. You may then be able to get something from a clio to fit.

Just a thought

From the connection block the wires just run off to where ever I think mate, when i had the door card off I didnt notice any more connection blocks?

A little further information....

Basically Darren and I opened up the switches yesterday and they don't seem to different just obviously dont work the same. I have contemplated taking them to an auto electrician or maybe someone who does complex electric repairs and trying to get them to make the new switches work the same as the old ones?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Those window switches are 1000000000% not Renault items.

I reckon that the dealer forgot to spec electric windows when they ordered the car and had them fitted by an outside company before the cars first owner collected it.

I appreciate none of this information has helped you, but this was the only thread of interest today.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Fo' real Daniel? Someone said they had seen them fitted to other clio's which confused me a little? As I'd never seen them anywhere before!!!

But what you are saying does make sense as you can see where the doorcards have been cut to get the wires through.

Despite not helping me it was very interesting. Cheers :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL, damn f**king renault. I am 100% they were fitted as standard because the car has always been in my family, so Daniel must be right.

Took apart the door cards today and the motors are renault ones, pretty sure they are mk1 ones though, because they work on change of polarity rather than just changing which terminal the power stops going to like the mk2's.

Have been talking to darren off here A LOT lately and he's helped me figure out how these new ones can be wires so they should work. Gonna try get them working tmrw out of the car, just get the motor spinning. Hopefully I'll succeeed.

If not matteh off here has rewired his whole mk1 (to fit 172 engine) and he offered me a helping hand at some point so I'll have to abuse him I guess.