ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manufacturers Sat' Nav' Units

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Hey guys,

How easy is it to take a car x years old, and go to the manufacturers direct and have a sat nav system installed?
I'm expecting the prices are fairly through the roof, but don't mind too much as nothing is cheap from them direct.

I understand the official Renault unit isn't too good?

Are there any manufacturers own sat nav units that are particularly accurate and reliable?
Also, what can you expect to pay, for example VW, Audi, the more top end expensive makers?
This purely from the point of view that I'd find it a lot easier having a unit installed directly into the dash, particularly security wise, and the TomTom I use via work takes about 15 minutes to find signal, which is pretty poor imo.

Just need some pointers on how realistic it is, and whether it's worth doing.
I know many of you prefer the after market units, but they do nothing for me unfortunately purely because it takes so much tossing around to get them up to date and current, and usually they have a spaz moment every 20 miles and loose track of where you are, strangely.

I have a good mate who has a Mk5 Golf 1.6, with the VW sat nav and he said it's 10/10 in his books - Sparked some thoughts tbh.

Thanks,

Pete.

Last edited:
Yeah good idea, go to Merc and tell them to install a sat nav into the dash of your clio.

Ha, but, just generally if there any any to avoid. Obviously, if I buy another Renault I want to know if there's is any cop.

Forget it don't even bother looking the systems are embedded in the cars its not worth it at all.

The amout of new car buyers who's cars have the option of sat nav (were tlaking S class/5 series etc owners so not cheap cars) who don't take it up and get tom tom etc is huge as often the manurfactuers stuff isn't that good for the money and updates are hugly expensive.

the honda one i had was a bit crap adn th epioneer avic x1r i had was worse still f**k paying almost 1400 for the pioneer again

Hey guys,

...I understand the official Renault unit isn't too good?
Who told you that ???
My dads got it in his 172, never had a problem with it at all, its really accurate.
I believe the unit is carminat or something like that. You can fit the unit aftermarket as some on here have done.

Hey guys,

...I understand the official Renault unit isn't too good?
Who told you that ???
My dads got it in his 172, never had a problem with it at all, its really accurate.
I believe the unit is carminat or something like that. You can fit the unit aftermarket as some on here have done.

Oh, cool. Heard that on here tbh. If I find it, I'll quote it in here. Think it was on my last sat nav related thread.

I've gotta say your the only one I've heard say its good.
Yeah I mean aftermarket asin TomTom/Navman/Garmin portable units, they're popular but I'd much sooner have one as part of the car in the dash.
I know a few of the chaps have fitted it themself.

If you have any pics of it in action, that would be much appreciated please :)

Someone on here has the whole unit for sale, i'm not sure if they sold it though.
I don't have any pics of it to hand, but i'm sure there are some on here somewhere (give renault sat nav) a search on here.

The only time it won't direct you properly is if you have to drive to new road, one that's not on it, or if they change the road lay out. So basically you'd have to update the cd every once in a while.
Other than that it's fine & it looks neat.