ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mayonaise.

Renault clio
Hi, I have not posted in a while but today i was looking under my hood, just checking that all the levels of fluids and stuff were ok and I noticed that there was a thick film of white goopy stuff under my engine oil cap. I heard that its called mayonaise. lol. Just wondering what caused it and what does it suggest about the car/engine. Is it serious? I heard it could be caused by water mixing with the oil or a problem with a gasket. I would appreciate any advice on this as i still have alot to learn about cars. lol. Thanks Guys.

Brian.

Renault clio
Hi Guys, thanks for getting back to me. Adam, yes its just a standard 1.2, nothing fancy. Fletcher, Yes i do a lot of short journeys just to work and back which is only about half an hour driving per day and some out and about driving but never any long journeys. Guys, ill put up some pics tomo just to show you, not sure how bad you would rate it. Thanks for gettin back to me. Much appreciated.!!!

Ph2 Meg 225
Hi Guys, thanks for getting back to me. Adam, yes its just a standard 1.2, nothing fancy. Fletcher, Yes i do a lot of short journeys just to work and back which is only about half an hour driving per day and some out and about driving but never any long journeys. Guys, ill put up some pics tomo just to show you, not sure how bad you would rate it. Thanks for gettin back to me. Much appreciated.!!!

It's normal for a 1.2! Go for a long drive and give it a blast and it will clear :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Not getting up to temp, ie, sticking open, this means the water will be going through the rad all the time so not getting hot enough.

Is your temp needle sitting in the middle or below the middle?

Renault clio
Its just sitting in the middle. Its not overheating or anything like that. No loss of power either to the car or anything noticeable. Think it may be the short journey thing and not giving the car time to fully get up to temp.

Wipe it away, do an oil change if its needed and avoid short journey's.

Had the same on my 1.2, I think I read its something to do with the poor breather system for the oil?

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
yup sounds normal, have a guy at work who has the same issue 1.2 engine. I did an oil change for him and was amazed at about an inch of gunk in the filler.
Has been fine since though made him check it every week and he also gives it a longer run once a week and its cleared it all up.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Keep an eye on your water level, If its drinking water then head gasket alarm bells will be ringing