ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MB or MBP???

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
like i said gally, my intial impressions are as follows:

1. it is literally a peice of art. the thing is beautiful superbly crafted and you could argue a design icon of the modern age. it actually blew me away when i got it out. very impressive.

2. like before, it just turns on and is ready to go within literally seconds. i can't even hear it working. it is literally no noise from this machine. i don't see any space for vents etc like you od in other laptops. no idea how it ventilates.

3. the battery pwns. like 7 hour pwns. quite incredible.

4. my first apple product was the iphone. now i have the mbp i see lots of things from the iphone with the functionality. but this all obviously came from the mac/mb's etc to the iphone. they really are quite innovative.

no doubt hardened mac users will be able to say more.

all i can summarise is that the mbp is a top end quality product. yeah you can buy laptops that are more powerful for less no doubt but from my impressions they don't offer the ingenuity and class that the mbp does. that is it, it is total premium brand that works superbly.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That last bit pretty muched summed it up in a good way Seb cheers, what do the prices go up to for one of these?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
if we meet up on the 20th i may well bring it along so you can show me how to use it properly. LOL

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
That last bit pretty muched summed it up in a good way Seb cheers, what do the prices go up to for one of these?

no idea, 17 inch mbp would be well over 1200 pounds.

mine was the base mbp so about 900 quid.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see pictures that aren't on the apple website aswell!

£1200 doesn't seem that expensive I thought the base model started at £1200.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I bought the base model for £764 inc student discount which I'm not actually entitled too. Fortunately the salesperson in the Apple Store offered me the discount anyway.

They're not even expensive compared to similar spec high end plastic laptops.

The 'basic' 17" is c.£1800. Less than a similarly specced, battery eating plastic Vaio that comes pre-loaded with a boat load of annoying bloatware. Factor in that Mac OSX runs like a dream, and it's hardly worth even comparing specs in the first place. They are only expensive when compared to budget alternatives. Apple don't make budget alternatives.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers dudes, expensive but i've never minded paying for quality really.

Ph1 172 money! ;)

Mine was cheap like the budgie! My Mum has a stupidly expensive Windows laptop. It's still not as a good as my MBP.

I wouldn't swap mine for another other laptop. A 5min play in a shop isn't enough to really show you what it's all about. Start using them day in/day out and you'll realise.

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
you could buy a £500 laptop. and it'll be good for bout 6months.

then it'll start to clog up, full of virus, slow down, crash alot, become un-reliable.

then you'll have to spend another £500 a couple of years later.

spend £800 on a mac and it'll last and run the same for years.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why do they not clog up, like internet spyware and that shizzle?

you could buy a £500 laptop. and it'll be good for bout 6months.

then it'll start to clog up, full of virus, slow down, crash alot, become un-reliable.

then you'll have to spend another £500 a couple of years later.

spend £800 on a mac and it'll last and run the same for years.

This. My laptop takes about 3-4 minutes to start up. And it's a reasonably good spec, and only a year old.

I want to get a macbook 13" and have heard Apple are giving a £100 for any piece o crap traded in, so will enquire at the weekend. £800 seems a lot for the macbook, but it should last a good few years.

Rusty Cup
Why do they not clog up, like internet spyware and that shizzle?

Mostly because of magic :p

You cannot have a program infiltrate a mac without you authorising the installation of said software.

Also if you think that the idea of malware is to affect as many machines as possible so if you manage to affect 1% of Apple 5% market share you will still be talking tiny numbers compared to Pc's

Also we are led to believe the man hours need to create mac viruses are much greater than equivalent program being created for Pc.

So the combination of these results in not many viruses or threat available for mac

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, very nice to know, I always knew from reading posts and stuff that they were very secure compared with windows jazz.

Thanks Dudes.

Rusty Cup
Macs are susceptible to spyware, flash cookies, key loggers etc but by no means to the extent Pc's are.

Mac scan is a good piece of spyware removal :)

Rusty Cup
Put it this way in the 25 years Western Computers has been trading we have never successfully diagnosed a fault directly attributed to a Mac virus!!

The most public of Mac virus is found on a version of iWork 09 available for download from piratebay.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Do bigger companies use laptops because they are cheap and really eay to use/pair with other things

Rusty Cup
Pardon my ignorance but im not sure i understand the question (then why are you replying lol)

I would suggest the need for a laptop or a desktop is completely governed by the computing requirements of the end user.

I would not have said an Apple laptop setup is particularly cheap compared to an Apple desktop setup, but as a rule if your work requires you to be mobile to any degree it stands to reason a laptop is the right way forward :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah cool I just meant why do a lot of companies or should I say 99% use laptops and macs in their offices and workers.

And I know certain things that you take for granted on a laptop might be a pain to install on mac, like routers other devices.

I'm always reading about, you need to download this to run this to look at that!

Rusty Cup
Oooh i see yea almost certainly cost efficiency, drop a pc laptop = £250 fix, drop a mac laptop = £800 fix if u've cracked the screen and broken the logic board!!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Routers and other devices have always been easier to configure on any Mac I've used than they are on some Windows systems.

Rusty Cup
Routers and other devices have always been easier to configure on any Mac I've used than they are on some Windows systems.

Yup, verging on ridiculously easy most of the time :p have had consistent problems with belkin routers in the past but to be fair that was a while ago now.

DMS

A thirsty 172
If you actually know what you're doing it's no more difficult to configure a router from one OS than it is any other, whether that be via a web interface / GUI or a command line. The platform you're running on has nothing to do with it!

76544d70.jpg

ups arriving at my place...

cd1424c3.jpg

in the lovely box...

7a73ccfb.jpg

the mbp...

Same as mine, good choice.

Same here.

I upgraded the harddrive to a WD 500Gb, Ram to 4Gb from crucial memory and now have Vista on it too using bootcamp :)
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=330276
It is so so quiet during use too and starts up ans shuts down in seconds and the battery life is over 6 hours (honest)
I now know what all the fuss is about, it is so much quicker and blows away a windows laptop of similar spec.

Last edited:
  Rusty Cup
If you actually know what you're doing it's no more difficult to configure a router from one OS than it is any other, whether that be via a web interface / GUI or a command line. The platform you're running on has nothing to do with it!

INDEED :p

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols that's what I mean! All this bootcamp nonsense to run vista.

This is where I find it silly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just the whole thing about running vista/windows on a mac? :S

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What about it?

It boots up, you pick a partition, it loads the OS.

Simple.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My head is going to explode! :(

So you're having the best of both worlds?