ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MBPs

So i'm a pear noob. However after playing with my mates 13" MBP all day i'm in love. I don't know why but i am. So good. So much better than the Toshiba i've right now.

To put it blunt. I want one like hell.

However, are they worth the money? Simple as. For a 13" 2.66ghz model. Think 15 would be too big. Or maybe not.

Would be able to get it student, 10% i think. Or can just get my bro to pick it up from the shop in NY if thats loads cheaper..

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
15" is perfect for me, so I got that.

Saying that, I've not used it for months now. Wanna buy it? lol.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
17 is too big to be portable imo.

If I could go back and re-order I'd have got the i7 15". On benchmarks it's not much faster than the i5 I have, but still, might aswell. Only essential is anti-glare screen.

Will be a student dan as of a few weeks, as are both of my brothers.

Hmm will have to test out the sizes i think. As it'll be mainly used at home, occasionally on a longer journey, as i'll have the toshi to trash daily.

Greg, 17 not huge then?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
17" MBP's are desktop replacements.

15" is portable.

That said, the 17" is awesome, but I've not need for that size screen on a notebook.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Oh, hi.

I'd have replied quicker, but it took me eight seconds to project my mouse pointer across the vastness of my display.

Arf.

LY 182
I've got the base spec 13" MBP and it's awesome. What are your actual needs for it? If you don't have to do anything too resource intensive then the standard 13" is perfect. Still great performance and as it's the smallest it's gonna be the most portable.

I still look at it and just think wow it's sexy. Battery life is freaking epic too.

I know 17"is 17" roy. But you know my point.

Uses. Music. Music. Films, tv. Skype. Internet, p**n.

It'll live in my room really as i don't want to take it into lectures. I think 17" is outa my reach money wise. A 15" is pushing it. I'ma just go into the apple store next week and play.

Lol at the huge monitor references. 11" monitor ftl. Portability ftw.

LY 182
Don't be put off by the 13 cause it's not got an i series chip. It's still awesome.

I'm debating buying a magic trackpad and magic mouse. I don't need either. I'm just an Apple slutttt.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
tbh, the 13" i have pwns any laptop i've had. the spec is irrelevant. it performs much better than any spec ***** would tell you.

the thing works faultlessly and has an epic battery. plus it glows.

Actually getting a semi checking out the website. Sexual.

But hell. A 15" is soo much money. Talking 1700ish. Jesus that's a lot to spend on a laptop.

It'll have to be a 13" i think.

Yup.

Poor mans mac.

I can live with that. Is there a difference in the processors? Obviously one's 'faster' but is there really a difference.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I have the 15" i7 with 8GB RAM, nVidia 330M graphics and 128GB solid state HDD, plus the high res glossy screen. The anti glare option is kinda pants and makes the screen look rubbish, plus the only time it'll actually matter is if you're outside on a sunny day.
I would have bought the 17" version except it was slightly too big to fit into my backpack and I thought it was just a bit too heavy to carry round regularly. The 15" i7 is IMO the best compromise between outright performance and portability.

However, in response to the OP they're definitely worth the money. You can buy better spec laptops for less but even then you'll probably end up using Windows on them, which is just bloatware compared to Mac OS. I've had mine since April and use it very regularly. It's still as quick as they day I got it (and still looks as good). Battery life is epic (you won't find many other laptops with battery life like these have, largely thanks to how good OS X is at getting the balance between performance and battery life right), plus if you really want you can use Boot Camp to run Windows on it anyway (very easy to do even for a novice).

The other good thing about them is that they retain their value. 3 year old top spec (at the time) MBP's are still selling for around £800+, largely because of the build quality, reliability and how awesome the spec was at the time - meaning they still cut the mustard even now. So, if you come to sell it in a few years time when you fancy an upgrade, you'll still get a fair wedge for it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My old one was 13", the resolution of the screen made up for the small size. It was perfect for the almost 3 years i had it.

On 15" MBP now and I think its a good balance of screen size/portability. I was looking at the 17" but it is just too big, would be difficult to get comfy on the sofa or in bed with the 17"

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yup.

Poor mans mac.

I can live with that. Is there a difference in the processors? Obviously one's 'faster' but is there really a difference.

Obviously the i7's are the quickest, but they're not HUGELY quicker than the i5's. The main benefit is that they i7's are quad core rather than dual core, which means applications that are coded to use multiple cores (3DS Max, Photoshop etc) will perform a bit better. Depending on how much you do that sort of stuff depends whether or not it's worth it I suppose.
Similarly, the 13" models only come with Core 2 Duo's. However, you shouldn't let that put you off - they're actually slightly quicker than the equivalent spec i3 processors seen in other laptops. Again, they're not THAT much slower than the low end i5's.

If you want a 13" then the Core 2 Duo is your only choice, but if you go up to a 15" I wouldn't bother getting the i7 unless you're either a) an uber geek, or b) can justify it through the software you'll mostly use. I think a 13" one would be more than up to the tasks you require of it so save yourself some money and get a stock one of those.