ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

McRaes Focus up for auction

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Cup 172
I would just love to stand next to it, never mind drive it. Mot history is hilarious 😂1F80B4BE-D982-4BAC-847F-4706CAD15AE5.png

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
Lovely, but not exactly original, as it will be a re-shell after the RAC off. Will still make a decent money though, because McRae and 2001. That era seems to be generating a fair bit of interest now.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  various
It just doesn't have the same attraction as a McRae subaru. How'd he end up in a focus anyway? Did subaru quit?
Think it was just a change and richard burns was taking over as number 1. It was a totally new car and i think mcrae wanted the challenge

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
It just doesn't have the same attraction as a McRae subaru. How'd he end up in a focus anyway? Did subaru quit?

He left Subaru at the end of 1998. Ford paid him a huge chunk of money (think it was about five million) to go there, and he hadn't been getting on as well at Subaru in the later years. Nicky Grist was on the Collecting Cars Podcast a while back and talked through the whole story. Well worth a listen, as lots of stories about their antics.

Subaru stayed in the WRC until the end of 2008 and won driver's titles with Richard Burns in 2001 and Petter Solberg in 2003. Ford (M-Sport) didn't win a driver's title until Sebastien Ogier in 2017. Does make you wonder if McRae going to Ford was the right move. He did win a lot of rallies in the Focus though.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  various
He left Subaru at the end of 1998. Ford paid him a huge chunk of money (think it was about five million) to go there, and he hadn't been getting on as well at Subaru in the later years. Nicky Grist was on the Collecting Cars Podcast a while back and talked through the whole story. Well worth a listen, as lots of stories about their antics.

Subaru stayed in the WRC until the end of 2008 and won driver's titles with Richard Burns in 2001 and Petter Solberg in 2003. Ford (M-Sport) didn't win a driver's title until Sebastien Ogier in 2017. Does make you wonder if McRae going to Ford was the right move. He did win a lot of rallies in the Focus though.
I didnt realise it was that long before ford won a championship i do remember watching live when mcrae stuffed the focus when he was on for the win. Was typical of him tho balls to the wall and give her death if it worked it worked if it didnt then by f**k it was an impressive crash

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
I didnt realise it was that long before ford won a championship i do remember watching live when mcrae stuffed the focus when he was on for the win. Was typical of him tho balls to the wall and give her death if it worked it worked if it didnt then by f**k it was an impressive crash

Ford are a funny one in the WRC. They have been there forever, but not actually been as successful as some might think.

They did win the manufacturer's title in 2006 and 2007, but the Citröen team wasn't actually a full works outfit in 2006, so that probably taints it a bit.

Sadly Ford have never really invested on the same level as their rivals.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel

One of the most surprising podcasts I’ve listened to. Wasn’t expecting much and it was brilliant.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 200 EDC
Ford are a funny one in the WRC. They have been there forever, but not actually been as successful as some might think.

They did win the manufacturer's title in 2006 and 2007, but the Citröen team wasn't actually a full works outfit in 2006, so that probably taints it a bit.

Sadly Ford have never really invested on the same level as their rivals.
M Sport have just signed Sebastian Loeb to drive the Puma Hybrid, will be interesting to see how he fairs.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
M Sport have just signed Sebastian Loeb to drive the Puma Hybrid, will be interesting to see how he fairs.

Only on a few rallies though. I don't think he's quite as sharp as he used to be, but his experience will definitely help them. Going to be interesting to see if the new cars are reliable, as that could mix things up.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wasn't this the car with the US spec rear bumper? From what I read people were confused to why it was running the bigger US spec rear bumper until a crash revelaed an air tank that was used to store boost pressure that was taken from a certain part of the turbo due to a loop hole in the rules, something to do with that it has already been pressuried air by the turbo so it could be stored and used later to circumvent the strict turbo regulators they were forced to install. Had to use the bigger bumper to hide it. Sure I remember that right and it being Ford.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lovely, but not exactly original, as it will be a re-shell after the RAC off. Will still make a decent money though, because McRae and 2001. That era seems to be generating a fair bit of interest now.

My first thought was triggers broom also. But according to reports it was a rebuild based on orginal chassis so possibly more original than that.
Wasn't this the car with the US spec rear bumper? From what I read people were confused to why it was running the bigger US spec rear bumper until a crash revelaed an air tank that was used to store boost pressure that was taken from a certain part of the turbo due to a loop hole in the rules, something to do with that it has already been pressuried air by the turbo so it could be stored and used later to circumvent the strict turbo regulators they were forced to install. Had to use the bigger bumper to hide it. Sure I remember that right and it being Ford.

That wasa couple of years later (2003).

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. Group B was 600bhp cars with 300bhp brakes, steering, chassis and suspension. They were barely any faster because they were so utterly undriveable.

Also Group B wasn’t in the WRC era ;)

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nah. Group B was 600bhp cars with 300bhp brakes, steering, chassis and suspension. They were barely any faster because they were so utterly undriveable.

Also Group B wasn’t in the WRC era ;)
Depends on if you read WRC as World Rally Championship or World Rally Car ;) ;)
I'm bias a i was lucky enough to be at a few Lombards back in the late 80s Early 90s.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Several
Group B is so over-rated in my view. Apart from the fact that I can't get comfortable with celebrating an era where a load of people were killed through negligence, it wasn't even that competitive. Rallies were decided by gaps of minutes, and it was Audi domination, followed by Peugeot domination really. I always find it quite funny how so many of the die-hard bobble hat folk complain how modern rallying is crap because the cars are nothing like what you can buy, but then say how amazing Group B was, even though the cars were nothing like what you could buy, aside from a handful of super-expensive prototypes that sold in tiny numbers and were largely irrelevant to most people.

We're all influenced by when we grew up though. Thankfully, I grew up during the Group A and early WRC era, which probably was the best time in reality, as there were loads of teams, relatively close battles, and probably the largest number of top level drivers. You also had F2 and Group N in there to mix it up too.

My first thought was triggers broom also. But according to reports it was a rebuild based on orginal chassis so possibly more original than that.

That wasa couple of years later (2003).

Surprised if they rebuilt the shell, as I thought it would have been toast after that off!