ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Media streamers

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Hello,

I'm looking at possibly buying a media streamer but I don't know too much about them. I'm looking for one that has Netflix, BBCiplayer, ITV player, 4OD and demand 5 on. I can't seem to find one that has all of these on.

I'd like an Apple TV but from what I can gather, they don't have the catch up TV apps?

any suggestions?

Clio 172
I'm sure 99% sure it has

It has a channel store (same as AppStore on iOS) so can download a variety

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Thank you. I'll have a look.

With an Apple TV, can I stream from BBC iplayer on my iphone to the Apple TV.

Clio 172
The cheapest Roku is circa 60 quid anyway, most expensive is like 100ish (full HD with Ethernet networking)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Anyone mentioned an XBMC hacked Apple TV2 as the 3 hasn't been hacked yet?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Yaha.

Xbox will also do it (although its a noisy thing) and it might be limited to less codecs, or at least it was when I used to use it.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Not according to apple.

I can use it as a remote, but not for mirroring. Which is what I want it for.

It doesn't mirror your exact iPhone screen on your TV, no, but you shouldn't need it to. It just plays any media within) reason you throw at it.

Play content on iPhone > Double tap home > Swipe left twice > press AirPlay button, select your Apple TV > Boom.

iPlayer/YouTube/etc etc work fine this way.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Yaha.

Xbox will also do it (although its a noisy thing) and it might be limited to less codecs, or at least it was when I used to use it.

only major file type it doesn't support is the mkv container. stupid really as it has the correct video and audio codecs, it just doesn't know how to handle the container.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Why has everyone else including apple said I can't do mirroring on an iphone 4 then?

No that's right, it doesn't support mirroring. You don't want to mirror, you just want to stream video from your iPhone to Apple TV. Which is what it does perfectly.
Mirroring is just essentially having a blown up iPhone screen on your TV; think its only available on iPad iirc.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I thought AirPlay was just for files stored on the device, not for streaming media like iplayer/youtube?

Tom's right. The linked sites just relate to Google blocking Airplay on the new YouTube (assumedly something to do with ads? No idea..) - however you can still AirPlay YouTube content easily from the website in the browser or by using one of the alternative YouTube apps.

If you can play any media file on your iPhone, whether it be stored locally or streamed (a la iPlayer/YouTube etc) you should be able to AirPlay it to your Apple TV.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
If I can view iplayer etc from my iphone 4 to my TV via an Apple TV it will do for me.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've seen one actually that played media. I've tried repairing my PS3 for the mean time. I installed a SSD earlier in it and so far, it seems to have fixed the issue I was having with it crashing every I was watching iplayer.

SQ5
They all do plus BluRays and for same price as Apple TV.

Also does Netflix and Lovefilm plus loads of others

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i'm getting a d-link boxee soon, seems to be the ideal solution.