ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Met black prep and spray?

I just got a £700 quote for a full prep and respray in metallic black from FM-696! What do you all think of the price. Good deal? Know of anywhere around glasgow that would do the same job for less? But still to a good finish!!! Sorry FM-696 just thought I would have an ask around before I make up my mind. Cheers.

No one else. Come on people help me out here. I need to be fairly sure about something before i spend £700 on it!

visualize whirled pe
It's a deal, it's a steal, it's saleofthefuckingcentury....

I'd be very suprised if anyone can do it for less. If he's good, I can say for certain that is a reasonable price. The body shop I used to work for would have charged over £2k for a prep and respray in the same colour.

Punto/Clio GTT
and the type of basecoat and clearcoat does matter?

primer depends what the damage is like, if its bad damage it will be 2packed, if not it will just be cellulosed.

as for the colour and laquer, the colour is mixed on our water based scheme, no idea of the name, can get it tomorrow if its essential.

laquer is just normal laquer from the local paint supplier.

Punto/Clio GTT
big bodyshops will have their own mixing system, small bodyshops generally goto a local paint supplier to mix the paint for them.

we mix up the colour to the paint code then tint if necessary.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
and the type of basecoat and clearcoat does matter?

primer depends what the damage is like, if its bad damage it will be 2packed, if not it will just be cellulosed.

as for the colour and laquer, the colour is mixed on our water based scheme, no idea of the name, can get it tomorrow if its essential.

laquer is just normal laquer from the local paint supplier.

Why does it matter how bad the damage is, if the repair is finished properley it does not matter what primer you use.I have not used celly for years because its s**t,as for clear have you ever seen a car a year later that has been painted with s**t clear?

Punto/Clio GTT
never had a car come back a year or so later for bad laquer so it cant be that bad.

and you kinda backed up my statement when you said it doesnt matter what primer you use.. so why ask?

in our bodyshop we use cellulose on small repairs and for general primering as its cheap, it dries quicker and its alot more cost effective.

we use 2pack on the big repairs or any major fillerwork.

using 2pack for everything is just silly if thats what you do at your bodyshop. complete waste of time and money.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
If i were about to pay someone for a re paint i would like to know what products they use .As some of the stuff (palinal,max mayer etc) is poo.I would always use a decent clear as that is the most important part shine wise, if you look in the clear you have at work i bet its yellow as you like because you are confined to using h.s. I dont care what anyone says you cannot beat m.s for a mint finish.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
I would not get out of bed for less £900. H.s high solids its better for the enviorment but poo to paint and polish and also does not give a great shine. M.S Medium solids, great to paint flows out real nice and polishs up to a glass finish.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I dont see a problem with him mixing the paints himself and wouldn't imagine it causing a problem. I'd expect most repair shops get their paint mixed rather than buying 'off the shelf' to help match up the the paint on the car... Its never going to be exactly like it was out of the factory.

oops theres a 2nd page.

Last edited:
  E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
I dont see a problem with him mixing the paints himself and wouldn't imagine it causing a problem. I'd expect most repair shops get their paint mixed rather than buying 'off the shelf' to help match up the the paint on the car... Its never going to be exactly like it was out of the factory.

It is better to have a scheme in your body shop as you dont have to phone up for tinters all the time and you rarley get the shade wrong as you mix it your self.There maybe one code for the colour but most of the time there will be a few shades of that code some times up to seven or more