ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metal flake?? Paint or Laquer??

MK1 CLIO
Hi,

Just a quick question... im adding metal flake to my respray when i start, but do i add it to the basecoat? or Laquer? some people tell me to stick it in with the paint, others tell me it goes in the laquer?

SO WHO'S RIGHT?? And most importantly does it matter??

Thanks
thumb.gif

M

mouthyman

you DONT put it into the paint, you spray the paint and then when it has flashed dried you spray one coat of lacquer with your metal flake in, you then give it a further 2-5 coats of plain lacquer depending on the thickness you want,

but the flake definetly goes into the lacquer first coat. NOT THE PAINT

Punto/Clio GTT
didnt think it was paint myself, ive sprayed a corsa before with a glitter finish.
Basecoat
Laquer with glitter in x2
2000 wet flat all over to level proud bits
Laquer again with no glitter x 2 or 3
wet flat and mop to finish

Punto/Clio GTT
cliokidmk1 said:
And most importantly does it matter??

yes it matters, i spose if the metal flake is very fine (which i doubt it will be) it should be put in the laquer, otherwise if you put it in the basecoat its gonna be a very very uneven finish and just look a mess.

Chocolate Bar™
goes in the laquer, obviously if you put it in the paint you wont see it as easily as the paint will be covering it lol

Renault Clio 172
In the lacquer - but put plenty of lacquer over the top as a friends car didn't have enough lacquer and the car felt like sandpaper where the metalflake was coming through (quite big flakes though)

Clio mk1 1.2
mix it up with the paint and then laquer over it, my car is gettin metal flaked end of month will post pics of it in progress leading up to the spraying and after, mate is sprayin it in one day

Well the aluminium metallic flakes in my paint were sprayed on and included with the paint itself. I then clear coated on top of this.

Punto/Clio GTT
*Smiley Stacey* said:
In the lacquer - but put plenty of lacquer over the top as a friends car didn't have enough lacquer and the car felt like sandpaper where the metalflake was coming through (quite big flakes though)

didnt know what they was doing. you aint gonna cover metal flakes by putting on coat after coat after coat, youd end up using about 10 litres of laquer, needs to be wet flatted after 2 or 3 coats to bring it level then laquered again for a finish

If your on about using a metallic paint where aluminium metal flakes are already in the paint then that answers your question. They are in the paint. You then use clear coat + activator over the top.

If you are on about using a solid colour and then adding flakes on top of this then yes it would be best done in with the clear coat.

fiesta
defo in laquer, when i did it i sprayed about 3-4 coats of the colour, flash dried, then sprayed 1 coat of the metal flake and lacquer mixed, let it dry for a few mins, decided if it needed more flake or not, if so did another coat of lacquer and flake mixed, then let dry abit them sprayed 3-4 coats, sometimes more depending on depth

alot of people get confused because alot of metallic colours look like they have flake in them, i think thats why people think you put it in the paint

fiesta
Final_Maxim said:
didnt know what they was doing. you aint gonna cover metal flakes by putting on coat after coat after coat, youd end up using about 10 litres of laquer, needs to be wet flatted after 2 or 3 coats to bring it level then laquered again for a finish

also you could do it by putting 4-5 coats of clear on when your spraying the car, after about a week or so then you wet flat the hole car then using a buffer and cutting compound like g3 you buff the whole car up and the car comes up looking and feeling like glass

metallic paint does have aluminium metal flakes in them hence me never putting "flakes" in my clear coat.

fiesta
Chris K said:
metallic paint does have aluminium metal flakes in them hence me never putting "flakes" in my clear coat.

they may have flakes in but thats just stanard metalic paint, when people talk about metalflake they generally mean the stuff that goes in lacquer

i think your the first person ever that i have heard when metalflake was mentioned you starting talking bout metalic paints

Punto/Clio GTT
paulbmx2003 said:
also you could do it by putting 4-5 coats of clear on when your spraying the car, after about a week or so then you wet flat the hole car then using a buffer and cutting compound like g3 you buff the whole car up and the car comes up looking and feeling like glass

im sure you could.. but wait a week? bout as productive as getting Loony to spray it lol