ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metal under oil-cap

Clio 172
Hi there,

Whilst driving home from work, my car cut out over a roundabout, i restarted the car as i was coasting and it started back up again..

Once id got home, ( less than a mile away ) i had noticed a very loud unhealthy rattling sounds coming from engine. I turned the car off, and the next day, it didnt start.

I had a friend mechanic come take a quick look at it, and as i tried to start the car, he looked under the oil cap and he could see large metal peices inside.

I have spoken to my garage where i have warranty and they are refusing responsibility of the damage and will not do anything to fix or collect the vehical. ( bearing in mind i have owned the car for 2 months and i have already had the car back to the garage for rattling sounds in the engine which was apparently valve timing and was "fixed". )

I basically have two questions;

IF they accept to take a look at the car, and they locate the issue. Chances are they will put the blame on me, how could i prove thats its not my fault?

and if anyone has an idea whats wrong with the car?

Thanks in advance :)

Oli

Ged

PD130 Peach
By law you have the right to 6 months warrenty from a garage where you bought your car... This sounds serious so id play the hard game and make that garage do something!

I will leave it to the rest of CS to diagnose now.

PS, don't try and start the car any more!

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Sounds like it is proper fucked to me.

Used car warranties from small garages aren't worth the paper they are written on. You have more rights under the act of which name escapes me. Someone will know, but if it has already been back for engine rattles then they are obviously trying to fob you off as they know it's fucked, or at least that is what it sounds like to me.

How soon after you purchased it did you take it back with engine rattles the first time?

Clio 172
Took it back the first time exactly 14 days after purchase.

Sales of Goods act, i think. Ive sent them a letter refering to this, and i have stated to them that this is my right but they still refuse by telling me its all my fault. Im sure if i keep going, they will take a look at the car.. eventually ( as its my right ). But my main worry is that they will pin it on me and send me the bill.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Get a solicitor to write another letter for you... That will cost but will kick them in to action so money well spent.

Sounds like a rocker has flipped and gotten trapped/broken. No doubt loss of compression is causing the non start and it's no doubt mashed the camshaft.

Mick

Black Sheep
Hope you get your money back mate must be gutted.

How do these acts and warranties work if someone bought a car and completely abused it ect,? not saying op done this by any means!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
How could the OP have done this damage by driving it? It's been in for a Valve timing fault already which I'd guess they've bodged and it's gone wrong.

Personally I'd want the covers off for a proper look see with an impartial/independent not in the pocket of the trader to assess the actual damage and get an estimate on repair... But I doubt they'll pay for that and will most likely, if forced by you, simply throw in a second hand engine and claim its "been fixed"

Mick

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Get one of the traders on here to have a look, do you a report and present it to local Trading Standards with the traders name.

Clio 172
Thanks for all your advice, this is a really stressful situation for me, i love my 182!!

I will let you know how it goes.