ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metallic Rattle around 3000 RPM

Renault Clio 182 Cup
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information/help.

I believe I'm suffering with some sort of problem with my exhaust on my 55 plate Clio 182.

As far as I'm aware the exhaust is the original and I recently had to have the mid section welded back together as a quick fix.

I think I am suffering from a common fault in Clios which is there is some sort of metallic rattle when I reach 3000 RPM and upwards. What do you suggest is the best and most viable solution?

Would a mounting bracket for the midsection help or should I go for a new exhaust?

Kawasaki ER6N
Might just be a loose bolt joining the manifold to the cat or a heat shield. Get under it and check everything is tight.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
My guess would be either the baffles in the centre section have broken (you may be able to push the centre and hear the rattling) or the heatshield has fallen loose and is resting on the exhaust (have a look under the car).

Renault Clio 182 Cup
It's not lowered at all.
I emailed k-tec about their systems and the bloke reckons it's the baffles in the centre section. So, it looks like I'm going to have to save for a couple of months to get a new exhaust.
Could I get away with just getting a new midsection? Or, if not, what exhaust system would be best? (Something not too expensive and also not too loud)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You're mental to get a new exhaust before you've had someone look at it.

I had a similar rattle, turned out to be an alternator support bracket that was loose. Cost 30p for a bolt to fix it.

Focus ST-3
It sounds the same as mine when i got it. i had a loose jubilee clip (is it called that??) on the mid section of my exhaust, tightened it up and job done, been fine since

You're mental to get a new exhaust before you've had someone look at it.

This! It's not exactly hard to poke the exhaust shield and cat-manifold bolts to see if they move.

If it's the exhaust shield it will likely rattle if you slam the boot shut, which i assume you would have mentioned. The cat-manifold bolt only becomes noisy when you get to a certain frequency (around 3k) or put a load through the car (dipping and holding the clutch so it's about to stall is an easy way to put some vibrations through the car)

2005 RB FF182
Make sure u get a genuine kit. There is a cheap one on eBay 11quid iirc but heard the gasket wears out quick.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Update: Took my car into a garage today. Got it onto the ramps and after two minutes of looking around we found that it was a loose jubilee clip on the midsection of my exhaust.

Relieved is an understatement.

Mk5 golf gti
yea its usually the heat shield that causes this, bet you were relieved when it was a jubilee clip Lol