ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin Pilot EXALTO

Will the following tires fit on the standard mkII 172 Alloys?

Michelin Pilot EXALTO PE2 205/45 R16 83V

Cheers for any help Adam

Yes, but make sure you change all four not just a pair. The wheels should fit 205s fairly easily but I wouldnt go any wider. The overall circumference of wheel will increase which in theory will knock speedo out, but I doubt if this will be affected by much more than two or three mph. You will be going slightly faster than indicated by speedo, but since the speedo reads high anyway it should improve the accuracy!!

I know this is common sense but I mixed tyre sizes on an old 309 once think I kept original 185/55/15s on front but put 195/50/15s (cheaper) on rear. This was (un-suprisingly) a very very bad idea, it made the car even worse to drive!

I have however changed from 185/55s and 195/55s to 195/50s in complete sets on many hatches with no ill effects.

Boz

Arctic 182

Dont say anything. Only things insurance would look at if you had a claim was all tyres were same size, fitted rims / car OK (which they will) and that they are legal in terms of tread.

I would agree with BozM, If in the unlikely event of an accident they did point it out say that they were on it when you bought it or that was what the garage fitted so it must be right.

They wouldnt let you cover different size tyres anyway they would just give you some crap about it being dangerous. BUT they were perfectly happy to take an extra 100 odd quid from me for upgrading from 14" (175/60) wheels to 17"(195/50s) when I had my 1.2 16v.

yup it is 195 to 205 so itll be fine. The 195s fit fairly flush with the edge of the rim, so the 205s should look better as well.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

You can happily run wider tyres on the back than at the front, just not the other way round.

I run 205s at the back and currently have 195s on the front.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Cupcake

You can happily run wider tyres on the back than at the front, just not the other way round.

I run 205s at the back and currently have 195s on the front.

I think you will find its the other way round. On a FWD car all the load / work is on the front tyres so fitting slightly wider tyres on the front is more common especially in rallying. Your theory would only apply to a RWD car ars the rear has more load due to the drive through the rear wheels.

If you have eibachs fitted (cup/ 172) it tends to make the car understeer at the limit and i have found puting 215/40 on the front and having the 195s on the back gives a great balance. Having it the other way round would make it really boring to drive i would imagine.

Anyways its only my experience..........