ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

microsoft.com not working? or just my laptop?

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Try scanning for spyware, some can block access to all subdomains of microsoft.com to stop you using windows update....;)

Golf GTI 1.8T
i spybot'd it and it found a load of things and cleared them all but still doesn't work...

anyone recommend something else to scan it with?

Golf GTI 1.8T
Oh yeah that didnt work, I malwared it. Found a few things the ms website still not working.

Longy: that brings up a very basic ms website but I can't navigate anywhere from it.

Golf GTI 1.8T
still doesnt work, on 2 laptops it doesnt work, one has just had a fresh XP install. how weird is that??

I don't understand, so having to download SP3 on another computer then transfer it over, gaaaay!

Golf GTI 1.8T
Yeah they are with PC connected on ethernet but that works. I'll check tomorrow cos I can't remember the router login. Cheers

Golf GTI 1.8T
had a nightmare trying to access the router so had to reset it after trying loads...anyway it says automatic DNS from ISP...

Primary DNS Server 212.139.132.6
Secondary DNS Server 212.139.132.7

Fiesta ST
So you got two laptops plugged into your router - one with a fresh install and neither can access microsoft.com?

You said you downloaded SP off another PC - Was that connected to your router?

Can you ping www.microsoft.com from the command prompt?

What make of router do you have?

Can you ping websites from the router? if so ping www.microsoft.com

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Restart the router, if you use a site to much your ISP will block it connecting for a day or so, for example, excessive use on Redtube and it wont connect, but i dont have these problems as my DNS and DHCP come from the servers i run in my attic (Network project ;))

Fiesta ST
Restart the router, if you use a site to much your ISP will block it connecting for a day or so, for example, excessive use on Redtube and it wont connect, but i dont have these problems as my DNS and DHCP come from the servers i run in my attic (Network project ;))

First I've heard of ISP's doing this?

Also your DNS will be forwarding your requests to a proper DNS server (usually your ISP's or other known DNS if you set it up correctly, otherwise you might be using root hints):) yours will just host the local network DNS records.

Last edited:
  Golf GTI 1.8T
Longy,

it's a Belkin router and we got...

desktop - ethernet - microsoft.com works
new netbook - wifi - works
laptop fresh xp - wifi - doens't work
another netbook - wifi - doesn't work

I'm not sure about the ping'ing. I tried something I found in google where you type ping + the website into command and it didn't work. I did download SP3 on the new desktop then transfer it over to use on the laptop.

Appreciate your time with this, it's bugging me!

Golf GTI 1.8T
Oh and it's really annoying that I cant download Live Messenger on the laptop because it's installer connects to microsoft and it says that I don't have an active internet connection...

Turned off windows firewall and still doesn't work

Fiesta ST
On your laptop mate can you run command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and tell me or screenshot the results. Also I take it the laptops don't work when you plug them in with a Cat5 patch lead?

Golf GTI 1.8T
Microsoft still don't load with Cat5 is used to the router on the laptop.

When I run ipconfig /all it opens and runs so fast then closes that I cant even catch it on a screenshot :s

Golf GTI 1.8T
I can't use their website, but I found a download for it, but I can't update it as I get an error code. I did run it though and it found 17 things, been removed but still nout grrr

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Try that above. But lets try this.

Lets get combofix on that pc.
Download these two programs. From the clean pc that works.

http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Now, move these onto the two pcs which cannot get to MS sites. Copy to desktop, and then drag the Microsoft installer into the combofix (thundercat logo).
Then run. Reboot if it asks you too once it has done.
Post the results log in here please.

Golf GTI 1.8T
Longy you genius!!!

The laptop is sorted, as soon as I had disabled (!)Serial and restarted Windows Live OneCare found and removed a worm and I can now download Live Messenger and access MS websites...

Just waiting for the netbook to be Malware'd although it still wouldn't let me update the software so hopefully it will find it as it had the same plug & play driver with a worm...

So now do I just leave those drivers disabled or can I uninstall them permanently?

Thanks a lot!! much appreciated!!!

Golf GTI 1.8T
Cheers for the advice rctempire,

Malwarebytes couldn't update with that virus still there so I downloaded the OnCare thing on the netbook and that found 2, so all gone and clear.. Not bad for something that I accidently downloaded and wouldn't use lol!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
First I've heard of ISP's doing this?

Also your DNS will be forwarding your requests to a proper DNS server (usually your ISP's or other known DNS if you set it up correctly, otherwise you might be using root hints):) yours will just host the local network DNS records.

No mate, ive set it up to use local hints, when it hits a website, is loads from the chche, if the website has updated it will update the cache, if not, will just load instantly, my internet now flys, i set up DHCP DNS and AD at 118 :)

If i shut my server down, i will get websites after about 20 secs when it decides to route to my ISP