ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Microsoft License

Fiesta ST
Was trying to work out the licensing for a network I'm setting up.

I have 200 users accessing OWA offsite but only 4 physical PC's on the Domain. I thought I'd get away with a 5 device CAL's.

But I guess it wouldn't be that simple and I presume Microsoft would treat every remote user's PC as a device? Is this correct?

Better than yours. C*nt.
I believe in the old days for that you needed an external connector licence, but that may be SQL as it's Friday and nearly beer time.

yeah but you need a windows user cal for anyuser that authenticates against Ad and every exchange user does and you need an exchange cal for every user that uses exchange

device cals are used if you have a device that allows more than one person to log in

Fiesta ST
lol but you said they would be accesing them externally so thats a user cal lol

Only for OWA.

eg: I buy SBS (which includes Exchange) with 20 device CALS and I have 20 machines and 30 users. Which seems the correct and most cost effecitve way to do it. But does that mean only 20 of the 30 people can use OWA?

Chelsea tractor
I though SBS was capped at 75 (but gets horrendous after about 50 or something) CALs? SBS CALs span more than one type of CAL though, but they are a bit more expensive ie. you wouldn't need separate windows / exchange CALs

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Feck that s**t.. Even you so called windows experts don't know... 'stall linux TBH.

dk

911 GTS Cab
the bunny is talking the most sense in this thread.

if you had 200 users all using those 4 pc's then you could just buy 4 device cals, but you haven't, you have 4 pc's AND 200 remote users authenticating as MB says.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
ms licensing is f**king awful we have often asked them about stuff then get different answers every time

I actually have to do the licensing in my work so I know what it's like.. but I hate it with a passion. You just don't need to worry about that crap with my nix box's.

Between that and arranging software assurance etc.. nightmare !:dead:

And ye I think you are right with what his requirements are for the number/type of licenses.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I actually have to do the licensing in my work so I know what it's like.. but I hate it with a passion. You just don't need to worry about that crap with my nix box's.

Between that and arranging software assurance etc.. nightmare !:dead:

And ye I think you are right with what his requirements are for the number/type of licenses.
the issue with all that random command line b****cks is getting support with hardware!

we have a customer who bought a hp san for his debian servers, complained when he couldn't get multipathing working, hp won't support him as its not a supported OS!

At least with windows you know something is guaranteed to be supported.

You might like this one though, windows 2008R2 is out, but guess what, exchange 2007 doesn't work on it and isn't supported and MS don't intend to fix the problem, their recommendation is to wait for exchange 2010 which will lol. Now thats crazy!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
the issue with all that random command line b****cks is getting support with hardware!

we have a customer who bought a hp san for his debian servers, complained when he couldn't get multipathing working, hp won't support him as its not a supported OS!

At least with windows you know something is guaranteed to be supported.

You might like this one though, windows 2008R2 is out, but guess what, exchange 2007 doesn't work on it and isn't supported and MS don't intend to fix the problem, their recommendation is to wait for exchange 2010 which will lol. Now thats crazy!

Well if I was the customer, I would have checked that before signing the cheque :rolleyes:

Nothing is guaranteed lol.. i've had plenty hardware that is supposed to work that plainly didn't. Not blaming that on Windows as an OS though. In the same way I don't blame Linux for the lack of Manufacturer driver support. Its getting better though everything I buy nowadays just seems to work out the box.

RE: 2008... They can't be serious ? Don't personally use Exchange but that is just wrong !! They will end up backtracking and suddenly providing support due to the backlash they get.

Fiesta ST
I though SBS was capped at 75 (but gets horrendous after about 50 or something) CALs? SBS CALs span more than one type of CAL though, but they are a bit more expensive ie. you wouldn't need separate windows / exchange CALs

SBS was just an example as it includes exchange but you can buy SBS Device CALS or SBS User CALS. Just wondered how device cals affected OWA.

Fiesta ST
Cheers for clearing it up, I knew it would be an expensive way to do it just for outlook web access.

[joke] i'll get them to use G-mail instead lol [/joke]