ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help needed - Microsoft Outlook password recovery impossible??

Sooooo...

My mother changed the password on a business Outlook (not Hotmail) online email account the other day but she did it while tired / thinking about a million other things and now she can't remember the new password...

It seems that it's an Outlook account that's being used to collect emails forwarded on from another (BTConnect) account setup years ago and never really used, as well as being directly emailed on the address itself. It's therefore basically the sole email account and urgently needs unlocking because the business relies on it.

She has tried the Forgotten Password link underneath where you try to enter the password but it says that 'Password Recovery is not enabled on this account' and sends you through to some website about Azure, which seems to be some sort of network administration software tool for big business, which given it's basically a 1-person operation, is not exactly helpful.

She then tried to click on the Password Recovery link in the various Microsoft Help pages, which makes you enter the address having issues and then details of the problem, with the aim of answering detailed questions on the account and its usage that would show it was her that has been using it, but it says the address doesn't exist :rolleyes:

So far her Live Chat / Virtual Assistant has been f**k all use, just giving the Password Reset and Password Recovery options that don't work, so she's tried to submit a request for assistance via a 'Contact us by email' link tucked away somewhere in the Help pages, but I'm presuming any response will take ages and be similarly 'helpful'...

Am I correct in thinking that she is basically screwed unless she has a moment of clarity and remembers the password?

The only other way I can think of is to basically try every potential password option around what she thinks she might have changed it to, but at three goes a time before it's 'temporarily locked' for an unspecified amount of time, it won't be a quick process...

There's also the issue that even if she sets up a new email address to use, she's no idea what the BTConnect email password is so couldn't change where it forwards on to (and the BTConnect password recovery sends a PIN to the account that's locked... :rolleyes: ), she couldn't get access to the lost email trails and contacts, and I've no idea if she even knows how to get the website changed.

Any help greatly appreciated, oh wise CS I.T. peoples!!

Did you manage to sort this out?

Thanks for the reminder that I'd posted this thread!

Fortunately my mother managed to speak to BT about accessing the account, and after they seemed to basically confirm that the 'reset password' email went to the same account that was locked :rolleyes: they did sort it out and get her access again.

I believe she has now written the new password down and won't be changing it again unless absolutely necessary!

Old people... lol