ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Midlife crisis toy lol

Renault Clio 172
Hi, after many years of not having a toy,used to have 205,309 gti’s and rs turbos,I’ve just got myself a 172. Certainly puts a smile on my face, it’s had a lot of work done,Bit of a weekend toy and want to get into track days,did my first at Croft last week !! Loved it, though only got a few laps as had some issues.
36D3EFA3-DF70-4E87-A557-87A348F83860.png

Renault Clio 172
Thanks,the splined joint on the o/s drive shaft ended up destroying the seal in the gearbox,also brake issue where pedal went hard,but think that’s the plastic vacuum pipe as it’s been bodged up with foil and tape,no longer available from Renault apparently

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome aboard!

The 1*2s are a great track car - but it appears that you've been the unlucky victim of one of their weaknesses. Driveshafts have never been their strong point and it really can be a lottery as to if/when/how they fail.

The other area that they benefit from attention to - especially for going on track - is with braking. The OEM kit simply isn't up to scratch, but there are many options out there - @George@RTR_Parts is the man to speak to about those. :)

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome. I'm usually at Croft in mine, so hopefully see you out there. Go onto www.tracklimit.co.uk and register, you'll be able to see who's going to events. Much nicer place to be than Facebook and more track focussed. I'm 57 by the way, so well and truly past my mid-life crisis. I always say if you haven't grown up by the time you reach your 40's, you don't have to :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome aboard!

The 1*2s are a great track car - but it appears that you've been the unlucky victim of one of their weaknesses. Driveshafts have never been their strong point and it really can be a lottery as to if/when/how they fail.

The other area that they benefit from attention to - especially for going on track - is with braking. The OEM kit simply isn't up to scratch, but there are many options out there - @George@RTR_Parts is the man to speak to about those. :)
That's not strictly true in my experience. 4 hard years on (21 trackdays) in my clio 182 dedicated track car and i've never had any brake issues - standard floating calipers with DS 1.1's, never broken a drive shaft. Only engine issues i've had is when i had the box rebuilt with a quaife and the thrust bearing sleeve wasn't tightened properly and a dodgy oil pump. If you're running standard power and they're maintained well, i've found they're more than up to the task.

My mate has raced his 182 in TDT for the last 5 years and never broken a shaft yet or had brake issue's either.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Must have been lucky - that said, I'm sure I made it to around 110k before the first breakage - probably just an age thing.

When the genuine Renault replacement itself went (offside shaft again) - I was literally pulling out of a junction in first gear when it went.

I'm massively sympathetic mechanically with my car - maybe giving it a regular thrashing is what's needed to maintain healthy driveshafts! :)

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Must have been lucky - that said, I'm sure I made it to around 110k before the first breakage - probably just an age thing.

When the genuine Renault replacement itself went (offside shaft again) - I was literally pulling out of a junction in first gear when it went.

I'm massively sympathetic mechanically with my car - maybe giving it a regular thrashing is what's needed to maintain healthy driveshafts! :)
More likely an age thing and unlucky on your part :)

Renault Clio 172
Welcome. I'm usually at Croft in mine, so hopefully see you out there. Go onto www.tracklimit.co.uk and register, you'll be able to see who's going to events. Much nicer place to be than Facebook and more track focussed. I'm 57 by the way, so well and truly past my mid-life crisis. I always say if you haven't grown up by the time you reach your 40's, you don't have to :ROFLMAO:
I’ll check it out thanks,hopefully see you there.the cars all back together now just some little jobs to do then hopefully start getting out on the track again.As a bit of interest how loud is you car??had mine checked while I was there and was up at 104.4 db.so just got through

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll check it out thanks,hopefully see you there.the cars all back together now just some little jobs to do then hopefully start getting out on the track again.As a bit of interest how loud is you car??had mine checked while I was there and was up at 104.4 db.so just got through
Mine’s anywhere between 89-92 dbs at 5,500 rpm. Running PMS racing exhaust decat.