ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

might interest some... (film based stuff)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
was tidying up today and found a load of my film stuff from uni, packs of undeveloped paper etc anyway while looking i found some negatives and thought it would be cool to show you as some may of not seen medium and large format negs before :)

anyway for comparison
_DSC0002-1.jpg

here is Medium format negatives...
_DSC0003-3.jpg

i LOVE medium format, its such a nice format to use, and would happily shoot film medium format all day over a 35mm dslr... and a digi medium format would be even nicer lol!

and finally
large format (next to a iphone 3g for size comparison!)
_DSC0004-1.jpg

large format is a c**k to use lol, you have to load the film in to a slide in the dark and it has to be pitch black, then using the camera is also a t**t lol, works on bellows and you need to measure the bellows to work out exposure values etc! plus shooting models is a c**k too, because you focus then adjust the tilt and stretch of the belows and if they have moved you need to do it all again....

anyway thought it might interest some.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
medium format is a sod to load on to the developing spiral, love the quality though especially the 5x7 large format with colour transparency, looks awesome.

do you do colour processing and printing at your uni. unfortunately at mine they have just got rid of the E6 machine, still have a c41 processing machine though

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i finished uni like 2 years ago we didnt have color processing in house no :( they had an e6 but never got to use it... was always told it was broke lol!

i found it easy to stick medium format on to the spiral large format did my head in!!! love the simplicity of medium format!!!! love the mechanicalness of it, such a pleasure to use and satisfying to use too :)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
yup, at uni we have some 6x6 hasselblad medium formats and i love the clunk it makes when you press the shutter.

hand colour printing is a bit of a faff, as every time you change the colour balance the exposure changes so requires another test strip

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
thing i miss the most is the smell that follows you around after a day printing lol, dev and fix lol, fix smells like cat piss but becomes addictive lol!

i just love everything about medium format... waist level view finder, manual winding, sticking films in the backs, the smell of the film!! polaroid backs, they are just pefect cameras lol, the clunk with the POP of studio flashes lol :D

can remember using olllld handheld light meters turning the dials to line up iso and f number different metering techniques and watching a first year assistant i had be confused as the light meter had asa rather than iso lol...

doing twattish annoying things like wacking the power up on a flash head and calling someone and firing it in their face lol... childish but funny

VaVa
Nice one Alice. My old man was into his film stuff years ago.

He's got a little digital these days, but likens using a digital camera to cooking with a microwave. You get similar results, but part of the fun is in the actual cooking.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Na, medium format is easy to load, its just liek giant 35mm, but large format, now thats a t**t!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Na, medium format is easy to load, its just liek giant 35mm, but large format, now thats a t**t!

easy to load in a film back but in a dev spool as there are no holes in the edge of the film it can be a b*****d to roll on to it...

i love digital dont get me wrong, but there is something satisfying with film, much more involved and not just a point and shoot affair, you gotta make sure you try hard to get a shot rather than with a digital its like you dont put quiet so much effort in and you just look on the display and delete it if u need too... film you dont know untill you develop :)

Revels Mum & Sister
I havent done much with film stuff. But I have been given a Nikon F2 that has recently been fully serviced. Fantastic chunky piece of kit. Just need to try it out.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
its not really that expensive, 5 quid will get you it developed and printed 10x8... which for 30 prints (35mm) is probably cheaper than getting 30 digi prints on 10x8....

can always buy a dev kit for yourself... just need somewhere dark to load the film then about 30 mins to dev depending on the film...