ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mini VHS to Digital

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Okay so my mrs has a lot of childhood VHS and Mini VHS that she wants digitising

Wondered if anyone has ACTUALLY DONE IT THEMSELVES NOT PAID SOMEONE

I'm fairly handy with most s**t but I'd rather not screw up her old tapes with her mum and dad on them (they're both dead so these are quite sentimental)

I have my old HDPVR and Dazzle from years ago when I used to play COD competitively (proper battery I know), im guessing it would be as easy as just banging these inline with a VHS player and then stick the output into the Dazzle and record onto my PC.

Is there a simpler way of doing this without having to use a wanky old inline digital recorder?

Cheers all

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
They used to do kits. It was something to put the tape in and it would just copy to the PC's dvd.
We threw one out recently unfortunately when we were having a covid clear out. Not sure if it would even work now as I think it was windows 2000/vista compatible 😂

Pretty sure you'll find something on eBay though?
Good luck.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye there's a few game captures using scart still knocking about so its always an option. I just can't be arsed watching through 50 tapes and making sure they're all recording properly🤣🤣

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Given they're so valuable, why even try? I'd just pay the people with the expertise and take no risk.

Plus you'd probably get a better quality conversion?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I used something from Roxio to digitise a load of old tapes I had.

IIRC or was a scart lead to FireWire or something like that plus the software, so had to run everything through our old VCR.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here you go, I used a version of this about a decade ago;

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Because the experts can't guarantee they won't be damaged when they spin them up and at £20-£30 a tape theyre not exactly cheap

Plus they'd be sending a CD for each tape rather than just a file because they seem to live in 2003 and not 2020

I might seem daft but I'm not, I can assure you

I used something from Roxio to digitise a load of old tapes I had.

IIRC or was a scart lead to FireWire or something like that plus the software, so had to run everything through our old VCR.
Roxio, Jesus now that seems like f**king ages ago since I heard that🤣 I'm sure I had NXT 5 on my last PC that had a DVD drive ripping my mates dodgy CD's😂

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Surely the only way to capture analogue format is to use a digital device that records the analogue stream.

Basically what you have right now.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Surely the only way to capture analogue format is to use a digital device that records the analogue stream.

Basically what you have right now.
Wasn't sure if there was something automated but thinking about it I'll likely have to sit and watch through hours of my mrs at 4 years old opening a barbie every single b*****d year🙄