ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mint 172 v 182 that needs work

geordie

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I’m after replacing my ph1 with either a 172 / 182 I’ve seen two that’s local to me ones a late 172 that is in very good condition and reasonably priced and the 182 that’s a 54 it’s got slight bubbling on one rear arch and a small crack in the front bumper.

Problem is I think I want a 182 being newer and I love the look of them but my head is saying A clean 172 is the better option.

I’ll be breaking my ph1 and putting the nice bits on my new one so not bothered about them being modded as I have all the parts here.

Any advice welcome

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I’m after replacing my ph1 with either a 172 / 182 I’ve seen two that’s local to me ones a late 172 that is in very good condition and reasonably priced and the 182 that’s a 54 it’s got slight bubbling on one rear arch and a small crack in the front bumper.

Problem is I think I want a 182 being newer and I love the look of them but my head is saying A clean 172 is the better option.

I’ll be breaking my ph1 and putting the nice bits on my new one so not bothered about them being modded as I have all the parts here.

Any advice welcome

I’d be interested in parts off your phase 1 when you break it.

I would always go for a minter 172 over a tatty 182. Bubble on the arch is not a good sign.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
As above. I’d rather the best of one model than the worse of another.

2003 Clio 172
Would largely depend on the price difference between the two also. Is the 182 priced to reflect the cosmetic issues? Bubbling on an arch whilst far from terminal won't be pocket change to fix properly.

geordie

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
£200 between them both cars similar spec and mileage and 6 month between them on age

2003 Clio 172
Definitely 172 then IMO

Only visual difference is twin exhaust really. Can be replicated on 172 if it bothers you enough.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Get the 172, i would definitely avoid the 182 if rust coming through, it will only get worse.

Megane R26
172 all the way. The rust, even if minimal would put me off. Sit a 182 manifold and you've near enough got the same car.

If the 182 is cup packed then it's worth checking if/when dampers were replaced. Maybe both need a refresh in which case you can fit 172 Cup dampers to the 172 for a nice upgrade. Cup spoiler and Fabia splitter are easy to get hold of too :)