ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

misfire problems

Clio 172
Hi there, i have just bought a 172 02 plate clio, i checked the plugs when i bought it as it was a bit lumpy on idel, 2 were quite worn which i noted to get some new ones in the next week or so. Anyway went to put my foot down couple of days later and one cylinder cut out, engine management light started flashing so i limped it home. Changed the plugs for bosch super fours the next morning and it was fine, still slightly lumpy on tick over but much better. Anyways same happend today, took idividual leads off the coil and found its a misfire in cylinder one. So where do i go from here?
i thought a coil just gave up the ghost not became tempremental?
ht leads are all visibly fine.

oh and is it true these should only be run on iridium plugs? (only got told today?

any help would be great

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I believe its platinum plugs it should be run on mate. I had the very same problem a few weeks ago, changed the plugs and the coil pack and the problem went away, the car was seriously lacking power when you floored it though.

Although the HT leads dont look knackered they very well could be.

Clio 172
iv just checked everything again and when putting it back together realised the 1 and 2 ht leads were routed round rhs of coil, not lhs like other hts also the heat protection stuff had slipped up on the ht 1 lead, and its melted abit, no cracks but soft and pliable unlike the others, dead lead????????? put back togther and run it up the road, all fine but bit stuttery when hot, must be the lead?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Mine seems to be getting worse in the mornings (i.e slighty lumpy) and done over 50k. Imagine the leads and plugs may help? It is almost like the car struggles to cope with lower revs in 1st gear and no other issues during 2nd gear and upwards.

Thanks.