ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire/Spluttering/Coughing noise

RenaultSport 172
Evening chaps,

On the way to FCS saturday my clio decided to play up, sounded like a Subaru.
So I called the AA and he took the inlet manifold off checked the plugs were tight sprayed some WD40 on them done it back up and sprayed some more WD40 on the coilpack and the connecter on the coilpack. It then started up fine and I carried on to my hotel for FCS.

Cut to yesterday the car starts spluttering/coughing misfiring but this seems to disappear over 3k or completely if the engine is turned off/ back on. It doesn't seem down on power either just splutters till over 3k then revs freely.

The plugs and leads were changed by me last month, I bought a second hand coilpack from that clio spares stand yesterday but that is either faulty or the coilpack is not at fault.

Any ideas? Can I take a coilpack to be checked/inspected?

Last edited:
  RenaultSport 172
No idling seems fine then driving normaly it splutters until about 3k then stops? also Doesn't seem as bad then full throttle.

Coupe/Defender V8
what about if you rev it in N?

Could be lambda sensor. Although even though you changed plugs i'd be tempted to take a look at them mine was doing this last week under load and under 3k and one of the plugs was pretty dead (but it does sound a lot like coilpack)

172cup
I has exactly the same problem today - i had my car serviced at renault 2 weeks ago. hardly driven it since, was out in in today and sounded like a tractor, lost power and car was juddering real bad.

luckily on my way home i spotted an RAC man who was fixing someone else car on the roadside, i stopped and rang the rac (am already a member) anyway he then looked at my car, it came up that i had a misfire in cylinder 1. he took my manifold off, took my spark plugs out, checked the compression which was fine.

however he did say that one of my leads had been jammed when renault had put it back together when they did the service and that they hadnt put a new gasket on. so he sealed the old and unjammed the lead , put everything back together and it started normal. the fault code cleared.

however its still not right its very very hunty in low revs - more than normal. so id be interested in some help/suggestions to please?

thank you

RenaultSport 172
Before it started playing up, I did go over a speed bump a bit too quickly as I didn't see it and the exhaust does look a bit out of place.

but I changed the lambda in December, and when that was playing up there was a definte loss in power.

ATM there's no loss of power just spluttering until 3k?

02 Clio Extreme
I had similar problems with mine on the way home from FCS too!! ..the diagnositc result was 2 faulty sensors: pedal sensor switch and vehicle speed sensor switch. Its still in the garage, un-fixed as we speak :(

Coupe/Defender V8
cba to start a new thread but mine seems to be defo the plugs. Oil had got to them from leaky rockercover which hasn't been sealed properly by some monkey

RenaultSport 172
Right my friend came round tonight with his computer which picked no faults :D

But he had this pen type thing that he was touching the lead with so he traced the leads back and one of them was not carring the spark to the plugs so I swapped it with a friends lead and it was running fine.

What do I do with the magnecor leads now? I bought them from K-tec about a month ago, will they take them back?

Clio 172 Cup
same problem I've had with my 172 Cup - bought 8mm Blue Magnecor leads from K-Tec & they were faulty - wouldn't even fit properly so top marks to them they sent out some 8.5mm Red ones as they had no more 8mm in stock - bloody thing still mis-fires so coil pack next as plugs already done...

RenaultSport 172
same problem I've had with my 172 Cup - bought 8mm Blue Magnecor leads from K-Tec & they were faulty - wouldn't even fit properly so top marks to them they sent out some 8.5mm Red ones as they had no more 8mm in stock - bloody thing still mis-fires so coil pack next as plugs already done...

I've got a spare coilpack if you want it?

Clio 172
My car is doing the same at the mo, its really lumpy and spluttery below 3K, seems to rev freely above that, also getting a spluttering and popping from the exhaust. I've changed the coil pack and the plugs, all genuine parts. For some reason i opted to not change the leads so they are next, if its not the leads then i'll give up and pay someone to help me!!

Anyone had similar problems?

Williams20V-306BHP
Did you fix it Joe? IIRC the lambda sensor only reads untill 3k then goes open loop? but i might be getting my engines confused :)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
mine did this twice for the last few days. it did it last autumn/winter as soon as the weather turned nasty. every time I unplugged the leads from the coil pack and wiped them off with a paper napkin. also wiped the coil and then car was fine. this happened about five times (and only when the weather was rainy, with lots of humidity in the air) and the cure was always the one above.
it looks like a insulation problem, had to say that when I had the engine cover on this never happened.

Hello boys i have a simerler problem on my 172 she has always had a lumpy idle but always reved fine but now it feels like ive put omex limerter control on it just over 5k it misfires and sounds like its bounceing off the limerter?????? It dose make some nice pops and bangs but not much good to me :-( any ideas peps ?????