ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

missed gear selection

i was just wondering if a missed gear selection could blow your engine? it seems likely that if i was doing 100km/h on a freeway and accidently shift to 1st gear (say i was aiming for 3rd because someone tried to pick on me), the engine would most likely blow. but is there a protection mechanism to stop you from doing this?.

i have thought of the rev limiter, but i dont think that would help in such a situation. if the wheels are spinning at 100km/h and the clutch is engaged, it is going to force the engine to spin that fast regardless if rev limiter has cut in. correct?

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Will the g/box let u? I heard that some1 tryed downshifting to 3rd & accidentally put it in 1st and the pistons came through the bonnet! :D

Clio 197

It is called the "Money Shift" redline it in any gear and drop her down a cog or two. No rev limiter is going to help you there!

Usually the synchros will give you a little warning as they really dont feel up to synchronising things under these conditions but the ham fisted do occasionally find a way of doing the wrong thing and forcing it in. Then Bang!

That is why you are supposed to shift gently. with your fingers or palm..

FRST and 106 GTi

I saw a F4R engine being open because the owner downshifted like a maniac. Seq gearbox, clio172 from speed circuit racing. too much rpm and valves hit the piston.

on the last trackday in Estoril circuit, a megane downshifted from 5th to 2nd gear (missed 4th gear) and engine blow.

warranty from who??? When its bad use no manufacteur gives warranty.

This things can happen. Just dont get too wild on driving.

:(

hahhaha, nah mate. just been driving it a bit hard recently, went down from 5th to 3rd on a freeway when it occured to me how dangerous it would be if i shifted to 1st...

People!

this is when you put the clutch back in.....surely you dont kust let it bounce round to 10,000rpm! hahaha

yes you can do it, but you really do have to try hard to get it into first at 100kph. It generally quite hard to get it into 1st below 30mph.