ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mistaken Identity

New member, hello everybody.....

Currently driving a pearl black Si, my second Clio, after a couple of Golfs and a Civic, and it is by far the best car I have ever owned.

I wonder if anyone else with a 1400cc Clio Si has experienced this?? Have had my Si (W 2000) serviced a couple of times since I bought it second hand two years ago. The first time at Halfords :p resulted in me getting a smarmy phonecall from a mechanic who said he hadnt been able to carry out the service that day as I had misinformed them of the engine size. Id booked it in as a 2000W Clio Si 1400cc, but he said it was a 1600cc and they would have to get the parts in the following day.

This gnarled me a bit, but went along with it, and took the car back the following day (with the V5 as evidence of the car being a 1.4). Finally got it serviced - but one of the mechs told me that it had taken 1.6 filters etc.... and that hed worked at Renault previously and was well confused.

Bugger this I thought, and took it to Renault for the next service - no funny phonecalls, but when I picked the car up all my paperwork had 1.6 pencilled in all over it.

The saga ended when I ordered some front brake disc and pad upgrades from EBC. When they arrived mail order, youve guessed it, the discs were too small - the guy at EBC sent out some 1.6 discs and on they went.......

This has really put me off any further upgrades for the car - and also servicing it myself, as it seems that the Si takes 1600 bits on a 1400 engine, which confuses both me and all the guys and gals that have had their hands on the car.

The V5 says its 1.4, the engine/chassis code mates up to a 1.4, and the engine is a dead ringer for the natty little drawing of a 1.4 engine that Renault includes in the handbook - so why the confusion in the garages?

If any other Si owners can advise Id love to hear from them.

Clio 1.4, SV650S

is it a 1.4 8v?

i used to have all sorts of problems because no-where knew of the 99-00 1.4 8v models and they all thought it must be a 16v.

this was with most of the insurance companies who wanted to quote me for 98bhp 1.4 16v instead of my lowly 75bhp.

could be a similar thing!

Thanks for the welcome you lot....

No its definitely the 98hp 1.4 16v -

cracking little engine, but definitely not a 1.6!

Think youre right....

If any Si owners who have modded/upgraded bits read this though, please let me know what they have done,

i.e., for what size engine did they order their K&N for - and did it fit?.. etc.....

LOL

A confused but loving Clio owner