ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk.I Cold Air Feed

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
Well, I finally sorted out my cold air feed on my humble Mk.I ph3.

Ok, so it's kinda not the neatest thing ever, but... well, it's probably more sturdy and durable than the rest of the renault standard stuff :p

I had a broken fog-light on the passenger side anyway, so I took off the glass *smash* removed the bulb, and all the other innards, then just went down the shed, got some random black paint (heat resistant, designed for painting BBQs...lol) and just slapped it on. Cold air pipe sits comfortably in the hole (with a lil' routing / more botching ) Pipe is then run through an already made hole in the plastic light-cover that comes off the arch. Then up past some stuff (that I have no idea what it is :p or how hot it gets...) and then next to the K&N.

The difference in sound is shocking! best £50 ever! Also took 15% off my 30mph-80mph time :eek:

Ok, well, everyone in the world has a K&N...so this is nothing new, buut, I thought my botch-job for the cold air feed would be worth a look, I havent seen any done on a Mk.I. around here. (havent looked to hard though! :eek: )

clio-feed1.JPG

clio-feed2.JPG

clio-feed3.JPG

"mmmmmm...botch"

-Akira
(p.s: why on the stock parts, does the air from the exhaust-manifold cover get pumped back INTO the air filter????????)

P.P.S: Yes...before anyone says... I know my car looks like a tractor :D lol, its a work in progress!!!!!!! :p

-Akira

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The reason you have the warm air pumped onto the carb is to prevent carb freezing during the cold winter months. This will cause cause your fuel jets to freeze over with lots of poor running meaning you have to pull over and wait for them to defrost.
Looks good though, you just may need to revert back for a short while.

LoL, the "Y"s are just instead of slapping white over the plate... it's just me being random.

Len Beach; ahhh, I see... so... it'll start fine, but then randomly start misfiring or? just wont start? Any tips on how to prevent? Rev it a lil' when started? or will that just damage it?

( not know anything about mechanics or engines is FUN!! )

-Akira

None
Done the exact same method on my car this weekend and noticed a difference. Mines a d7f engine with it running straight into the standard airbox. Need to sort out a proper pipe tho as mines stuck together with masking tape in places atm :eek: (just a temp thing)

Roooh, ur engine bay is 100x cleaner than mine! I'm jealous :p
Never been cleaned...prolly never will... ^_^

Anyone found anything funky to do with the lower exhaust manifold? Remove the cover? Change the cover? Feed the air from the cover somewhere?

-Akira

Punto/Clio GTT
when i get round to doin mine im gonna take it off as its nasty n rusty, gonna get my mate to cut me a piece of stainless steel that will bolt into its place and come towards the radiator about 4 inch. might have somethin etched onto it or use a piperx sticker maybe.

len_beach said:
The reason you have the warm air pumped onto the carb is to prevent carb freezing during the cold winter months. This will cause cause your fuel jets to freeze over with lots of poor running meaning you have to pull over and wait for them to defrost.
Looks good though, you just may need to revert back for a short while.

Strange how an injection car woudl get carb freeze :S

They did it on al;l the energy engine, can only guess it was to keep temperatures down.

If i was you i would move that air feed slightly closer, make it atleast 80mm, and put one comming in from the other side, and see if you can get some heat reflecting material and oput that between teh filter and TB.

Ideally you want o relocate it down to behind the bumper somewhere, i believe hillpower do a kit, or if you are clever you can bodge your own up

i'm tempted by the dual-cold-air-feed idea. However... I like my driver's side fog light. On the clio, when i put full-beam on... the dipped ones obviously turn off... and I cant see anythin' closer than 10meters... lol.

How about running a hose FROM the manifold-cover, down to below the battery... throw the hot air out or summit... Hmmm... cant see any disadvantage? I may rig some 60-80mm PC-fans in there get rid of the hot air a lil' quicker... they run off 12v too... buuuut, Mr MOT inspector may not like my botching... wait... what am I thinking... this is a 1.4 energy engine... whats the point? lol

-Akira

Alryt Akira,

Is that a K&N 57i filter? Because av just orderd mine n' shud be here soon. So you can feel a difference in power then? i got mine for £50 which i thort was good =) gonna buy a cold air intake with all the reflective stuff from ebay soon. :evil:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Lunner said:
Strange how an injection car woudl get carb freeze :S

They did it on al;l the energy engine, can only guess it was to keep temperatures down.

If i was you i would move that air feed slightly closer, make it atleast 80mm, and put one comming in from the other side, and see if you can get some heat reflecting material and oput that between teh filter and TB.

Ideally you want o relocate it down to behind the bumper somewhere, i believe hillpower do a kit, or if you are clever you can bodge your own up
You can't deny that at fist glance then engine does look like a carbed 8v. Not knowing my mk1 Clios, I think this is forgiveable.

WoW! Remedi that is a clean machine!!!! :D Hmm... you make me wanna clean mine! How long does the engine bay stay clean for if ya give it a good clean then?

Jaybee RT;
Yea man, it's the K57i kit! My clio had the three bolts in the stock airbox (although my car is supposed to have 2 apparently...gotta love renault) The sound is phonomenal! Especially from outside with the car coming towards you, the air-hose acts like a megaphone/trombone... I have a stock exhaust and my mate with a £300 powerflow on a VTR thinks my car sounds better... damn saxos ;)

but yea... my 30mph-80mph has especially improved, and low-rev response when tinkering in 4th gear or whatever. Fuel consumption has dropped though... if u drive with a lead foot, it DRINKS fuel...

-Akira

Awsum! i cant wait!, is it easy to fit? And yeah av prepared my self for the fuel thurst, oh well, just have to take it abit easier....

...Yeah right!:D

Thing about the K&N.... u can do 5,000rpm...and if ur foot isnt flat to the floor, it wont make a sound.... but... u can do 2,000-6,000rpm and if ur foot is flat then it GRUNTS.... its great... means u can do motorway speeds (ahem!) without an annoying humming that u'd get with a huuuuge exhaust...

It's pretty easy to fit... Once u get the old one off, and just look what has to happen, its easy. The K&N instructions are shite, and one of my hoses was too long and needed trimming, take a look at our pics, and study what goes where, it'll make it easier :)

but yea... p of p to do ;)

-Akira