ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio as a Track car

Rb 182
I know a few of you have track cars, looking to build one on a budget. I have lots of spare sparts. I think i may have a decent base to start with. 1.2 p reg no leccy windows, no central locking, no sun roof.

Best way to go. Obviously i would start with stripping it out and uprating suspension components and brakes.

But what else would be the way to go??

cheers

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
decent tyres are a good option..

Best to just get out there.. have fun and work out what needs changing as you go along. Perhaps just to the suspension to combat excessive body roll :D

Rb 182
Well the plan would be to get a basic non-sunroof model and make it as light as possible then drop a decent engine.

I run Fk coilovers on my road clio and they seem good although the track one would probably just be shocks and springs (good make though)

Depends how dedicated you are a proper striped car even with 1.2 would be very quick loose the heater,dash, plastic windows etc best stikc a 1.8 in though for a bit more power.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
valver it, strip it and suspension and away ye go! worry about brakes after you get some experience on the track and want to start out braking all the nova's n corsa's!

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
yeah true, your gonna need valver/willy brakes.. these are the same as the ones on my car and they handled the abuse ok on k'hill.

forgetting your starting wi a 1.2

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
willy brakes (standard stuff no drilled/grooved nonsense)
f7p engine swap (cheap as chips)
Buckets seat & harnesses off ebay
Light wheels if you can afford it or turbines for cheap option
Exhaust/de-cat
Stnd airbox with cold air feed
16v/willy suspension or decent brand uprated kit (don't scrimp and save here)
strut brace and 2nd hand cage if you can find one....

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
yeah, all in at £1500 and a few weeks hard graft i think.. quite fancy the banter myself.

i would prob start off with a valver first tbh..

Rb 182
Good advice guys. Basically all of what i was thinking,

The model i have chosen is a p reg Rl.

It has no leccy winodwa, no cenral locking, no sunroof and now power sapping power steering.

I have exhaust and wheels in teh garge along with a cage that was for my turbo.

What you guys think about stich welding (did a nova for a 2l) will it help keep the chasis tighter??

WHat about front and rear bracing?

Cheers guys

Rb 182
Dave we need to strip the b**ch! Or just get mine done! You know youd drive it as much as me!

Yours is 2 new for a track car.

Im getting robyns when she gets her new car so its goign to be fast road and track,

Everythings ggeting taken out and the exhaust and rsi wheels (new tyres as well) will be fitted.

Will prob stay a stripped 1.2 till i can fund a valver

or i have a spare 1.7t with approx 190bhp.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

;)

Rb 182
Was thinking about moving the battery into the car as well. Help with weight dist.

Also remember reading a thread about some light weight batterys from Deamon tweeks for around £80 iirc

thoughts please

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Save up a bit of cash and get a light weight one behind the seats I think.

I know mines too new for the track but if it doesnt sell thats where its going!

Doubt youd need to weld it, not at the moment anyway. Whens Robyn getting a new car?

Rb 182
Save up a bit of cash and get a light weight one behind the seats I think.

I know mines too new for the track but if it doesnt sell thats where its going!

Doubt youd need to weld it, not at the moment anyway. Whens Robyn getting a new car?

Soon i think. shes looking at the mo.

It doesnt need welded, but was just thinking of it for extra strength and rigidity. I look at too many 2.0 novas.

Its the perfect base!! ;)

What you guys think about stich welding (did a nova for a 2l) will it help keep the chasis tighter??

WHat about front and rear bracing?

Cheers guys

Might help a bit but a cage is a better idea.

Rear brace does nothing front is only worth it if you do it properly.