ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Clio Help, Non Starter

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me. A (very stupid) friend has just bought a K reg Clio 1.4, which doesnt start on the key.

It will bump start fine, but when you try turning the key nothing happens at all, no starter motor click or anything like that apart from the usual clicks from the relays as the ignition is switched on. I've checked all the fuses...

I tried jump starting it quickly last night but it made no difference, it was half 10 though and pitch black so i'm off to have another look again later today.

Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Matt.

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
Starter motor f**ked? Could be a real low battery that won't jump start too.

True, I need to check the power supply etc to the starter motor I think, although it looks a bit of a b*stard to get to.

I thought about the battery as well, but when the car is running (after being bump started) turning the lights on and everything else on has no effect on the engine revs or anything like that. I would of expected the revs to lower a little surely as its under load?

Its had a brand new alternator fitted recently as well apparently.

Thanks for your help bradharding :)

RS RIP
battery is no good i think, little current is always needed for bump/push- start but may not be enough to get the starting-motor going ...

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
I'll try a different battery then, he has one off his old car which is in good condition and nearly new.

Hopefully its something this simple!!!

CB600FS
Test the battery, if its good, give the starter a clout with a hammer, see if it fires up. Or if its a manual try rocking it in gear to unstick the starter.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I reckon the wire that goes to the starter is needing redone, happened on Djw Daves 1.4 all the time till we put a new connnecter, exact same symptoms

S2000
My money would be on the starter. As said above try hitting it with a hammer and rocking it back and forth in gear before trying to start it. If you have a voltmeter you can check the battery or if not it would be worth trying another battery in there.

Either way if it bump starts fine it should be a pretty straightforward fix.

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
I had a look not long after my first post, i found a scotch lock in the wiring loom for the starter motor.

I squeezed the scotch lock and it started, so I took the car to work (where we have a pit), cut the dodgy wiring out and replaced it.

Anybody who uses these scotch lock things should be shot! I've had problems caused by these before.

Thanks for everybodys help.