ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 G/Box costs

Chav Rocket
1st gear is being a bit of a pain + the diff is starting to whine a bit so called reno to see how much a new one is..... 2k a bit more than that but 2k!

i think ill just get a second hand one and have it reconditioned - does anyone know what the going rate is for this?

thanks!

ValverInBits
Valver Box, with the weak circlip diff, and valver short ratios 50-80-100 (min average max)

Valver JB3 with bolt in diff, dunno, perhaps £160-180-200
Williams JC5 with longer 5th ratio 120-150-200

matteh has a spreadsheet with all the renault boxes and the ratios which you might find interesting.

edit: do you mean the reconditioning itself? I think I'm teaching you to suck eggs here arent I?

Ive never seen another valver JB3 with bolt in diff for sale on any of the sites (yet)...

I was thinking the other day though, if a 182 diff (which has the bolt in diff) would fit into the valver casing?

I have the reciept for mine when it was bought from Renault by the previous owner, £1200 or so after the VAT, that was service exchange and discounted as far as I know.

I might try and get hold of a f*cked 172/182 box with a bolt in diff and see if it will transfer to my spare JB3 with the popped circlip, the casing looks very similar

2005 Nissan Navara
you can tap the casing to take the diff retainer plate, no need to swap diffs etc.

rebuild will typically cost £350.

Yeah, ive seen that before, the first few pics look like my JB3 at the moment.......but also seen people on other forums machining their own retainer plate after seeing this on C16v (last pic)

treiSHU said:
either this one
DSC05838.jpg

24022009001.jpg

24022009.jpg

img2945mh6.jpg

or you make one of these and you drill 4 holes into the diff and make a thread for the bolts. iirc there was one for sale on ebay a few months back.

img00810.jpg

Chav Rocket
Valver Box, with the weak circlip diff, and valver short ratios 50-80-100 (min average max)

Valver JB3 with bolt in diff, dunno, perhaps £160-180-200
Williams JC5 with longer 5th ratio 120-150-200

matteh has a spreadsheet with all the renault boxes and the ratios which you might find interesting.

edit: do you mean the reconditioning itself? I think I'm teaching you to suck eggs here arent I?

haha yes post was for cost of recon however there is some useful info in your post (as usual) so cheers
im a bit fed up of the valver box tbh because 70 in 5th feels like im ragging it when really i just want to be cruising so i wont be going back to a JB3

am i right that the 172 jc5 has different mount points so i need the battery tray aswell? i dont have ABS (i think there is a issue with the mount fitting properly)