ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Golf

So my boss has asked me to detail his white mk1 golf convertible, does any one have any info on what methods to use and what products. I want to know what I'm up against as I don't want to balls it up.

Thanks
Antony

Yeah, ive been doing my car over the past 2yrs. I have a DA, I've detailed my sisters civic, the wife's c4 coupe, my brothers Mazda 3 and my mates Megane.

I want to know the does and don'ts with older paints. I've read alot of post on here by yourself dave also gally and JD, but as said I've never done an older car.

Products I have are

Ironx
tar remover
Zano clay
menz 2500 & 3000
r222 cleanser/glaze
ag hd cleanser
dodo wax
dodo tropical detailer
hex and menz pads

Cheers

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
just be careful on the arches, chances are they will be made of rust, same goes with the bottoms of the doors

If you are thinking of polishing it, don't do it with a machine. No offense but you don't fill me with confidence in your abilities chap!

I would look at enhancing the finish with filler glazes and hand polishing.

If you are thinking of polishing it, don't do it with a machine. No offense but you don't fill me with confidence in your abilities chap!

I would look at enhancing the finish with filler glazes and hand polishing.

With all due respect JD and please don't take this the wrong way but I'm very confident with a DA I've practiced quite alot on scrap panels so i know what technique to use and how to hold a DA that's comfortable to me. I've also spent hours reading your posts along with gallys and read the guides on here.

Again please don't take this the wrong way

Thanks

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm assuming it will be solid paint and not clear coated so remember you will actually be removing paint not clear coat.

basically as JD says
when I've played with cars like this they're generally fairly oxidised and dull, swirled and deep scratches all over and without doubt areas of poor or very thin paint, such as rust spots, flaking cracked areas. for this, and the fact that I don't enjoy doing it for other people, stick to a a very, very mild abrasive product, something along the lines of SRP, lime prime, rejuvenate if you want to use a DA. This will do a great job of cleaning up the paint, but you've got to assess the paint is suitable before going at it by machine.

If you're unsure, stick to hand application with a glaze or AG HD cleanse would be ideal.

looking through your previous threads am I right to assume you have fairly basic experience with this? if so doing it for other people is very risky. You need to get the expectations of the owner and make them aware of what is possible, and what you are able to achieve. Sometimes these are fields apart

Thanks for the reply Dave, that's exactly the information I wanted. So for this particular car I will cleanse and use fillers by hand as I've never worked on this type of paint before.

Looks like I need to go back to the scrappers and buy some more test panels with this type of paint so I can practice.

With the other cars I've done, I've not jumped in and pretended I can do it perfectly but I have thrown caution to the wind and started doing as little correction as using fillers and then moving on to light abrasives, it takes alot of time I know, but reading posts on here it's the best way to go.

Thanks again dave

I for one would not be throwing caution to the wind on an unknown car, in unknown condition for my boss. Do you have a paint depth gauge? Or an idea of the cars history with resorts etc?

I'm playing the devils advocate here, but if you go through the paint and cause damage, how will your boss react? And how would you rectify it?

Hand polish as stated and fill with glazes. But it's your own decision chap :)

Jesus, you ask for some advice on here and the times people can tell how good/crap you are at something without even seeing your work amazes me.

As said before JD I wasn't having a go and i take all your comments on board But my gripe was how did you know what my abilities are using a DA?

Chap, I could go down the route of "Jesus, you give some advice etc" but that wouldn't get us anywhere.

The fact that you are asking means you are not 100% on using the machine and I know from personal experience that arrogance (possibly the wrong word here) can lead to issues that can only be repaired with paint.

If it was your own car, I would say go for it, but then again if it was your own car you wouldn't have started this thread :)

I am trying to make you aware of the corner you maybe putting yourself into. I wouldn't touch my bosses car, regardless of the age, paint, it's worth etc.

I'm sticking to my guns and suggest you look at hand correction and/or a decent glaze. The results will be superb and last a good few months, possibly more, if done correctly.

Ok JD point taken and because I know that you know your shizzle on detailing I will go with your advice.

So with the products that I've listed above less the Menz they will give me a decent finish?

The Menz 203s/2500 will be great by hand. Have a look at these hand cut pads (don't forget free shipping!);

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/lake-country-light-cut-hand-pad-cat24.html

Glaze wise, have a look at Poorboys' White Diamond, or Galltastic's favourite Prima Amigo on an applicator.

I would suggest the Werkstat Acryllic Jett but that is up to you. On white, you may not notice a massive difference in looks between a Dodo Wax and a sealant, but depends if you want to buy products for the sake of one car/your boss!

Hmm, Tapatalk appears to be working well, sent a reply about 6 times!!

As above, Dave, the pads are perfect for any car as they provide a decent level of cut for a hand polishing process. The only difference to the above is that, as Antony has stated, BlackHole from Poorboys would suit better. Failing that, Britemax BlackMax.