ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Long Term Project! Thoughts and Ideas!! :)

94' Valver F4R'd
Hi Everyone!
This is my second thread on here as it's taken me a while to get things sorted on my clio!
I have spent so much time, effort and Money on it it thought it was about time I put it up!
Has got just 45k on the clock, Genuine, every MOT from NEW and every Recipt for every penny spent on it!
Had 27k when i bought it last year... Opps.. :p
Here she is as of now if you dont want to read all about it, Just comment on what its like right now! :)
The basics!
-Gaz GHA Coilovers, about 65mm drop at the front, about 40mm on the torsion bar :)
-Powerflow Stainless Cat-back exhaust
-Clio RSI wheels, Yoko A539s
-Window tints
-K&N Panel filter, 2 Cold air feeds custom made...
-16v Spoiler, Green
-Colour coded door strips
-Fog lights with LED's
-8000k 55w HID's
-Black rear lights, and 3rd brake light tinted black
-Clear indicators
-Re-sealed leaky sunroof
Probably more but thats most of it :)
rsz_2dsc02085.jpg
So, just over a year ago I passed my driving test and had bought this beauty of a mk1 from a friend of a friend :)
Here she is completely standard May 2011!
rsz_dsc01611.jpg
Had no tax and MOT so a new exhaust, 2 wipers and a tax disc later, I was on the road!
Got a Kenwood headunit in, £32 on a JBL sub from eBay, £20 wireing kit, and £20 on a brand new amp off a mate at work and my tunes were sorted, for now...
Put the fog lights in, Led bulbs, lights inside and some random other cr*p. Now for the real Modifications...

Found a set of Clio 1.8 RSI wheels on eBay for £50, picked them up form luton so not too far for me. had them powder coated in satin Black for £50!
Waited a month so i had enough money for tyres and put on 4 Yokohama A539's 185/50/14
Here she is, Standard height, New wheels!
rsz_1dsc01813.jpg
Looks stupidly heigh but don't worry it was not like that for long!
Bought 35mm springs, fitted them and had the torsion bar done the next week:
Sorry about the crappy Quality!
rsz_dsc01850.jpg

More to come when I have time!!
Thanks for looking Guys!

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
:D it dossnt work but looks the s**t!!

try finding a good one mate :(

Even the ones described as good often need so so so much work

94' Valver F4R'd
John, No rust at all, anywhere on the car... WIN! Arches are perfect, sills are just starting to peel but got a tin of underseal to redo it :) Apart from a few little surfaces underneath it's sound :)

Really thinking about an engine conversion, but theres so many other things that go with it, I've got a few questions about what I can and Can't do so help me if you have any ideas!
-F7R/F7P straight drop in but what about the widetrack/driveshafts on the JC5 box? will i need to widetrack it?
-Volvo 440 1.7 turbo? Straight drop? Mounts? Speedo/clocks?
-Renault 5 GT Turbo Lump? BHP? Relaibilty?
-Williams wheels, Will the fit my rear archs? do i need the wide rear end for them? Are they 15x6.5 or 15x7?
-Brakes? What's the biggest/best I can fit under my 14's? Will my standards be ok? Greenstuff pad's any good? Will I need 15's if I do a conversion? Will I need the rear axle from 16v/williams if I need to change them to discs?
-Williams Bonnet? Can i get it made to fit my PH3 headlights? Never seen it done, want to keep the round lights so its unique
-Williams Wings? Do the fit straight on a PH3? Do they fit around the headlights?

Help much appreciated!
Will properly update thread tomorrow and put up pics of eveything i've done, I would like everyones opinion on it all and what i can do. Would love this to be a sleeper...

Thanks for looking! :D

Punto/Clio GTT
-Renault 5 GT Turbo Lump? BHP? Relaibilty? i have a gtt in my mk1 ph1, reliability wise, im unsure as of yet as its still off the road while i get all the bodywork sorted, but any questions ill try to answer and provide pictures. i didnt do the conversion though.

-Williams wheels, Will the fit my rear archs? do i need the wide rear end for them? willy wheels will fit fine

-Brakes? What's the biggest/best I can fit under my 14's? Will my standards be ok? Greenstuff pad's any good? Will I need 15's if I do a conversion? Will I need the rear axle from 16v/williams if I need to change them to discs? pretty sure 16v/williams conversion will fit 14's, but im not 100%, they definatly fit 15's though, im doing a conversion atm from 1.4 to willy brakes

-Williams Bonnet? Can i get it made to fit my PH3 headlights? Never seen it done, want to keep the round lights so its unique - ive seen a ph3 on a williams bonnet, the front of the bonnet was ground away in shape of the phase 3 rounded lights. it looked, weird if im honest. the lines of the vent suit the ph 1/2 square lights but it doesnt look right on the ph3

-Williams Wings? Do the fit straight on a PH3? Do they fit around the headlights? the williams wings are a direct swap, the sides of the headlights are the same, but, you will need the bumper as the wings stick out about an inch compared to the non flared arches. you'll also need the arch liners. you can keep the non flared bumper and pack it with washers, but it just doesnt sit right

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
John, No rust at all, anywhere on the car... WIN! Arches are perfect, sills are just starting to peel but got a tin of underseal to redo it :) Apart from a few little surfaces underneath it's sound :)

Really thinking about an engine conversion, but theres so many other things that go with it, I've got a few questions about what I can and Can't do so help me if you have any ideas!
-F7R/F7P straight drop in but what about the widetrack/driveshafts on the JC5 box? will i need to widetrack it? No you won't need to widetrack it mate. This is the option I would do if we did it again, did it one weekend.
-Volvo 440 1.7 turbo? Straight drop? Mounts? Speedo/clocks? I wouldn't do this again, a huge amount of work for not enough reward.
-Renault 5 GT Turbo Lump? BHP? Relaibilty? Never done this one but a well trodden path thats harder to get a decent engine for these days.
-Williams wheels, Will the fit my rear archs? do i need the wide rear end for them? Are they 15x6.5 or 15x7? They will fit, cant remember the width but will check the ones I've borrowed.
-Brakes? What's the biggest/best I can fit under my 14's? Will my standards be ok? Greenstuff pad's any good? Will I need 15's if I do a conversion? Will I need the rear axle from 16v/williams if I need to change them to discs? Mk1 brakes are 238mm solid for 1.2 and 1.4 from memory, valver/willy/mk2 dynamique brakes are 259mm or thereabouts, I dont think 14s fit over these but tbh I don't quite remember
-Williams Bonnet? Can i get it made to fit my PH3 headlights? Never seen it done, want to keep the round lights so its unique Have a look at the threads below, I think one of them should have a pic of a valver bonnet and ph3 lights but the fit is terrible, just chuck some ph1/2 lights on.
-Williams Wings? Do the fit straight on a PH3? Do they fit around the headlights? ​No, you'd need the ph1/2 lights for that too
Help much appreciated!
Will properly update thread tomorrow and put up pics of eveything i've done, I would like everyones opinion on it all and what i can do. Would love this to be a sleeper...

Thanks for looking! :D

Have a look at some of our old projects as well mate

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?278964-Stripped-Mk1-Project

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?272311-A-Clio-Turbo-story-)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Firstly lets not sprint before you can walk. A mk1 ph3 is normally a first car (apologies if its not) but i'll give you my run down.

Engines:
F7r/F7P - Both require and JB3/Jc5 gearbox and clio 16v drive shafts and is a conversion i could proberly do in a day (with pissing about)

F7p from the Clio 16v is a great little unit, loves to be revved, and with some work... can see roughly 150bhp averaging 16/17sec at pod (dont believe the cup chip rubbish), but takes to turbo charging better... Coops has a low comp f7p and that kicked out 280bhp! and ran a 12 second 1/4

F7ps can be picked up for roughly £50... in fact i threw one out lol

F7r from the williams is essentially the same engine but has a longer throw making it a 2.0, williams has bigger valves, better tubular manifold and slightly wilder cams and has 150bhp out the box. Because of the increased capacity the torque you gain from the f7R is somthing an f7p wont make without a turbo. but with a little tuning (basics, Exhaust, manifold, filter, cams, verniers remap etc) will see circa 175/180 and will take the 1/4 down to roughly low 14's (ive seen a 13.8 but that car was a freak)

F7RA700 the williams engine can be picked up for roughly £400-600

F7R from the megane, again the same as the williams but updated again, bigger inlet valves again... and runs wasted spark ignition, the inlet ports are a different size aswell meaning the stock F7P/F7R inlet wont fit so you would have to run the megane inlet... because its wasted spark it wont work with the standard clio ecu (a good thing as my casio calculator has more power) meaning you would need to go stand alone management (canems from danny@519)
Or you can simply remove the megane cylinder head and swap it with the clio f7p head.. its a straight swap.

Volvo 440 B18ft.Good engine by all accounts, fits on the stock mounts (its a renault engine after all) but again the wiring is a bit of a pain in the ass you have to run 2 ecu's for a start the volvo one and the clio one... id go standlalone tbh and id expect you would need a custom down pipe.

Renault5 Gtt C1j turbo: Bhp? How big is your wallet? Engine has been around for years and just when you think its over another 450bhp one comes out the woodwork. But bear in mind this is an extremly old engine now...all will of been abused at some point. Factor a FULL rebuild into a c1j conversion. Reliable as ANY other engine, you keep it happy and it will be a good one but f**k about with it and bang.

Renault Sport Clio F4R; A now well trodden route! lots of wiring if you want to retain the standard ecu.. But 165 out the box, again uses the Jc5/jb3 box, custom downpipe, and pipework but a good conversion.

Williams wheels : yes they will fit under your rear arches. 205wide

Brakes: Upgrade to the valver/williams setup when you change your wheels.

Rear beam (its not an axel) :- Try and source an RSI rear beam or a believe the R5gtt bean is the same fitment Valver/williams wont fit its too wide and will make wheels foul the arches.

-Williams Bonnet? Can i get it made to fit my PH3 headlights? Never seen it done, want to keep the round lights so its unique

Nope but you can cut the williams/16v vent (many people will tell you they are different...there not) to fit the ph3 bonnet ive seen it done... it looks pretty epic aswell!
encontro1xd7.jpg

Williams and Valver Wings : are the same as each other so will fit the lower spec cars, but then you will need to change the front bumper as said before.

Heres my project thread; Contains big breaks and 4pots, F7P x2 F7R X2 resprays, rollcages, standalone etc
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?551187-The-Lunar-Grey-Mk1-Hybrid-Project

94' Valver F4R'd
Thanks guys really helpful, With the driveshafts from a 16v/Williams, Won't they be too long from the JC5/JB3 box? Can I do an engine conversion without changing the rear beam, widetrack and keeping my 14's? Whats the best brakes i can have?
Would love to meet up with you guys and go over things properly! Where are you all?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I have a 2 valvers for sale. 1 was a doner car for the other and has a f7r sat in it.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Williams Drive shafts are longer for wide track.

you will need
f7p/r

radiator and pipework from clio
Jb3/jc5 gearbox and drive shafts
f7p/f7r starter....these are different
engine mounts
ecu
wiring loom from the same year car as yours
manifold and dp
exhaust

94' Valver F4R'd
So I will have to widetrack it if I put in the F7R/P?

It's all nice and clean inside and out ;) (Click photos for actual size/better quality)
car1.pngcar2.jpgcar3.jpgcar4.jpgcar5.jpg

Comments and thoughts please :)
Btw, Yes that's a Williams steering wheel, and I've painted it Green... not to everyone's taste but I like it :)

94' Valver F4R'd
Continuing with what's been done :)
I did have a K&N induction kit, but this made it slower because it was sucking in hot dirty air from around the engine. So i've put the standard box on with a K&N panel filter and two custom cold air feeds.
On the airbox there are two inlets, One for cold air from behind the headlight, one goes to the manifold cover for warm air. (manifold cover has been removed!) Inside the inlets there is a valve that controls the flow of warm air from the manifold cover. I've smashed the sh*t out of it so now its straight through both inlets to the air filter. Some cold air ducting from eBay, electrical tape and cable ties I've got this amazing little set up which I honestly think gives me a good few more bhp! The 45mm pipes go into the top grille and lower one, Plenty of COLD CLEAN air for my engine! Let me know what you think ;)
Car 8.jpgCar 7.jpgCar 6.jpg
Yeah, There an OMP Strut brace in there too, makes quite a difference I think, stiffened the front up nicely, but now I have coilovers, It Stupidly Stiff.

So, with a Powerflow stainless cat-back and a half decent air intake my engine is running as well as it can without mega £££ I was thinking around 80BHP?

The car stayed like this for ages, untill the MOT was due... :(
It failed on CV Boot, Lower Left ball joint, Both rear tyres, and the front suspension had leaked pretty much all of its fluid everywhere... Oh sh*t.

CV boot and ball joint were cheap and quick, I think it cost me £20 and a couple of hours fiddling with it and it was fixed.
I did not have the money for 2 new Yokos so on with the old wheels that were in my back garden! Luckly they have 6mm+ on all of them, only downside is they are 165/65/13's! So NO GRIP AT ALL. ANYWHERE.

I decided that because all the front suspension was fcuked this warrented me buy the coilovers after all! :)
Went on Larkspeed.com for the cheapest ones, but there was a 3week delivery time :( Sh*t.
So now It was time to try and get it through the MOT, removed the shocks, cleaned them up and made it look like I'd replace them with second hand units, a free re-test later and my car had an MOT!!!!! Oh yeahhhh, and ruined suspension.

3weeks later my £450 YOLO moment arrived at work... WOW. I think I may have had an accident.
Sorry, this is the only pic I can find!
Car9.jpg
Anyway, fitted them and went to get it tracked. (after my driveshaft fell out as I took the old shock out and I spend 45minutes putting it back in...) This is where it all went wrong. AGAIN.
The car looked nice, low, but handled like a bag of s**t. this was expected as i knew the tracking would be miles out.
But according to the lasers at the tracking place the car had 16mm of toe out, 2'degrees of camber, the wrong way. The top of the wheel was further out than the bottom. DAMM!
Got home and put the springs and shocks back on in an hour or so.
Phoned up Larkspeed who got GAZ to phone me direct to find out what was wrong. The only way I could think of getting around this was to machine the top hole on the coilover a little bit towards the engine so the Hub would sit further in at the top. When I was talking to the Gaz man this is EXACTLY what he told me to do!!!!!! :D :D
Took the coilovers to work the next day and machined about 1.2mm from each side on each coilover.
Put the coilovers on the weekend after and back to the tracking place.
BINGO. toe was 8mm out, that has been put back to standard. camber was SPOT ON. WIN.
Got two new Yokos by this time so new tyres on the front half-worns on the back :)
Time for a test drive...
Wow. It's a go-kart. Litterally won't let go of the road. Love it.
Now the problem is the speedbumps where I work! I have two of these to get over everyday! Opps...
Car 10.jpgCar11.jpgCar12.jpg
I can only just get over them! My cat scrapes a little bit, nothing major! Phewwww!!

Haven't done much since the coilovers, got 2 stickers, some Bosch AERO wipers and I keep it Clean.
Car13.jpgCar14.jpg
Colour match is perfect on the 16v spoiler just to add... :)
Next is going to be Brakes and Engine Conversion!!!

BRING ON THE F7R!!

Thanks for looking/taking time to read this guys, Would love to hear your opinions and thoughts! :)

Punto/Clio GTT

have alook on williamsclio mate, i cant get on there atm to give ya link, but if you search my posts (FM696269) ive posted in a thread in media section i think, theres a picture of a ph3 with willy bonnet. just doesnt look right to me

94' Valver F4R'd
Been on WilliamsClio, but cant see much as i need to register and my e-mails been blocked... Will have it sorted soon!
I think that White PH3 with the Williams bonnet looks really good from the front, really want to do that now!! How much would something like that cost?!

Just to be clear, Williams Wheels fit perfectly on my car at the rear? I have 14x6's with 185 tyres and theres only about 5mm of clearance between the inside of the bodywork and the tyre wall... How wide are Williams wheels?
Gold Williams wheels or Black?
195/45/15 be ok? I know the standard is 185/55/15 but I can get 195/45s cheap and they look better imo

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I have a spider engine that came out of my RSI. Made 185bhp on throttle bodies a week before I took it off the road so it's still strong. Also got a set of SPAX coilovers, made for a R5 gtt, but adapted with genuine spax parts to fit. Megane exhaust manifold (far better than the williams or valver ones, the williams being the worst manifold ever made) Lots of other bits and pieces to help do a conversion too.