ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 1.2 16v issues

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a bit of a nightmare with the Clio this week, up too Thursday I was having trouble starting, cranking fine but no fire. Every day it did eventually go, so Thursday I decided to give the TDC sensor a clean during lunch hour, cleaned the sensor and boom fine again. The car has been running lovely up until last night, I was heading out and the car started to attempt to stall and became jerky while moving and eventually after coming off a roundabout the battery light came on and emissions light, it then stalled, Pulled over and tried to start, It started fine but had no throttle to keep it alive so would instantly stall, This happened 4/5 times, but every time after stalling by itself there would be a ticking/clicking noise coming from the engine bay and noise wouldn't go away until started again.
Eventually it wouldn't fire and would just crank unhealthily, But when turning the ignition on the fuel pump wouldn't prime.
Plugged code reader in and got Ignition coil a fault, unplugged coil pack, removed coils and checked for damage or moisture. There was a little on coil a but I will sort that with contact grease.
Plugged all back in and cleared codes and then had nothing, no crank no nothing. Called my recovery mate, just before he arrived thought I'd read codes again, there was nothing there but cleared anyway, then it started fine and drove it home.
I understand faulty coil pack could cause the jerkiness but it was new 9 months ago roughly with plugs, im more concerned what that ticking noise was after stalling? Sounded like drivers side of engine.
Another thing, after leaving work a few nights I've noticed the fuel gauge rising as I drive home.
Going to test the battery and check everything over fuel pump etc, but the ticking noise is concerning me.
Hopefully someone might be able to shed a light on this.
I'm in the process of looking for a new car so can't sell the clio now it's playing up.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure what the ticking is but it's so annoying, I've located the ticking as it cut out today and was ticking. it's coming from here
I can see that it's part of the fuel system but not sure what it is.
New spark plugs and Coil pack needed but they were changed 9 months ago. any clues as to why the clio is going through coil packs so much?
c2a05dca90e5dc31f70c1262edd35dca.jpg
281562d75fda85313710dac143b7af39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I think it may be a carbon canister but didn't realise the 1.2's had them, was worried it was a fuel sender unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk