ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 172 Security

Hi all!

I know this might sound like a real dumb ass question, but Ive just bought a year oldMk2 172 and I cant suss out if it has an alarm as well as an immobiliser. I know the Renault standard equipment states that it has an immobiliser and a Cat.1 alarm as standard but how can I tell? I want to test it out but I cant seem toset it off!!! Maybe Im just being paranoid??

Thanks in advance..........

S2000

If it is a UK car then it will have an alarm. If it is an import it should have one anyway cause 99% of insurance companies would insist it had one fitted otherwise it wouldnt be UK spec.

Has it got the little ultrasonic sensors in the car? Does it have any extra flashing led apart from the one in the instrument panel?

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

got mine from trade sales and it didnt have an alarm just an imob, had one fitted along wiv a tracker...pricey but nicey :oops:

I was told it was a UK car! Where are the sensors on these? (as there are none on the pillars) It has only got the main flashing LED. Dont say the b****rds have stitched me up again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

I have a very strong suspicion that if you cant see sensors and you dont have an LED next to the gear stick that what you have on your hands is an import.

Dont worry though £260 will get you the Renault upgrade alarm and no body but Renault will know that its an import. Unless the car was originally from Belgium or a non EU contry it is them same spec as a UK car. (the old woloons get a few less brake due to their tax laws).

I was in the same position and once you have the alarm sorted no one will ever know, even the DVLC wont have the car classed as an import unless it is from outside the EC

Hope that helps

MB

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by Matblack on 05 April 2003

I have a very strong suspicion that if you cant see sensors and you dont have an LED next to the gear stick that what you have on your hands is an import.

Dont worry though £260 will get you the Renault upgrade alarm and no body but Renault will know that its an import. Unless the car was originally from Belgium or a non EU contry it is them same spec as a UK car. (the old woloons get a few less brake due to their tax laws).

I was in the same position and once you have the alarm sorted no one will ever know, even the DVLC wont have the car classed as an import unless it is from outside the EC

Hope that helps

MB

Ditto that bit. The sensors would be on the pillars.

MattBlack....Who can fit the Renault upgrade alarm for GBP 260 ? Can someone go to the local Reanault dealer to get it fitted ??

I just got my mk2 172 upgraded as it didnt have an alarm, my local renault dealer charged me £195 for the upgrade and it works of the existing remote central locking button

There is a company in the South East called Stop-a-theif who fitted my upgrade at that price.

If Noel got the full upgrade for £195 I would definately find out who did it and go there.

Bear in mind there are two levels of alarm available for the 172, the standard UK spec one takes the system up to CAT1 the other one doesnt. You might want to check with Renault which one they will be doing.

My local dealer quoted me £360 for the 172 spec version.

MB