ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 200 Can't Lock/Unlock Car

Mk3 Clio RS 200
I am in desperate need of some advice, so any will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently having real problems locking and unlocking my car. Both keys do not seem to work, I have to keep pressing the key and walking around the car for around 10 minutes etc. The lock button on the door handles and sensors also do not work when the key fobs are not working.

So far I have not tried anything like changing the batteries in the keys, Im just not sure that is the issue. However if it is worth doing then I will get it done.

Like I said above, any help is appreciated. So feel free to fire any suggestions/questions away!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'd probably try the batteries first, as it's easy and rules it out.

The buttons in the door handles can stop working, but you can strip the handles down and replace them. A guy on Clio197.net can get the buttons.

Does the button on the boot do anything?

Mk3 Clio RS 200
I'd probably try the batteries first, as it's easy and rules it out.

The buttons in the door handles can stop working, but you can strip the handles down and replace them. A guy on Clio197.net can get the buttons.

Does the button on the boot do anything?

Thank you for your response.

I will get the batteries changed and see if that helps, I have tried the boot lid button but I think it just opens the boot, not 100% sure though.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The button in the centre of the diamond on the boot can be used to lock the car - at least it can on the 197, I assume the 200 is the same. That might help you in the meantime. It should unlock when you go to open the boot, or grab the door handles.

Mk3 Clio RS 200
The button in the centre of the diamond on the boot can be used to lock the car - at least it can on the 197, I assume the 200 is the same. That might help you in the meantime. It should unlock when you go to open the boot, or grab the door handles.

That's great help, thank you. I will try that method tomorrow!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
My key battery went flat on my mk4 fob and it wouldn’t unlock the car or anything so key fob battery would be first and cheapest port of call!

Mk3 Clio RS 200
My key battery went flat on my mk4 fob and it wouldn’t unlock the car or anything so key fob battery would be first and cheapest port of call!

Thanks for the reply. This might be a silly question, but does it have to be a specific battery or just any standard of that size?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply. This might be a silly question, but does it have to be a specific battery or just any standard of that size?
Any battery with the same code on will work. Either pay with blood at a dealer or try argos.

Does the car start with the key card in your pocket or do you need to put it in the slot? If it works in your pocket I'd suggest the battery is OK. Does the central locking work OK with the physical key?

clio rs200
dont know if its connected but i took the radio out today to get to the aerial cable (to see if it would connect to my dab pure highway radio. it did) anyway once everything was back in place, the drivers door button now wont lock the door, but the pass side button does.

Westfield, 182, 200
If the diamond button on the boot and the passenger door button, lock the car, it's most probably the button.
They can be intermittent or completely fail.
Cheap to fix, but a bit of a fiddle!

clio rs200
If the diamond button on the boot and the passenger door button, lock the car, it's most probably the button.
They can be intermittent or completely fail.
Cheap to fix, but a bit of a fiddle!
i fiddled with the drivers door button today and its started working again. typical renault.