ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 DCI 106 MPG

Mk3 SX
Well i've had my Mk3 DCI 106 SX for a year and a half now. Must say i wasnt happy with the MPG i was getting for the first year. Averaging about 54-55 MPG with mainly motorway driving. However ever since i had my first service i am now getting 61.5 MPG regardless of how i'm driving. if i decide to put my foot down sometimes it never drops lower than 61 so am rather happy with that.
Anyone else getting decent MPG out of the Mk3 DCI.

SLK250 CDI
That's amazing TBH! When I had one (had less than 10000mi on it though) was getting 39-45mpg'ish. Did have climate control on all the time though.

Mk3 SX
lol yeah sorry bout that it does look like 106 MPG. should i reset it after i fill up to get a more accurate reading? Also whats the exact procedure to reset it. i haven't done it yet so dont want to mess it up.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
lol yeah sorry bout that it does look like 106 MPG. should i reset it after i fill up to get a more accurate reading? Also whats the exact procedure to reset it. i haven't done it yet so dont want to mess it up.

Reset when you fill up, then just leave it until you next fill up. That should give a fairly accurate measurment for that tank used.

Ph2 172
Took my girlfriends DCI on a good run (around 90 miles) with a mixture of motorway and A roads and was getting 69mpg but I think it's only an 80PS model.

SLK250 CDI

Go to the page that you want to reset, then hold down both of the buttons at the end of the stalk together, the page goes blank and you can release the buttons.

320d
Took my girlfriends DCI on a good run (around 90 miles) with a mixture of motorway and A roads and was getting 69mpg but I think it's only an 80PS model.

My Gf's Mums with my Gf driving got from my house to the Trafford Centre (about 20 miles) and returned 74mpg at around 70mph.

Epic mpg out of them and they're torquey b******s too. The pick of the non RS range imo.

Clio MK III Dci 106
I have a 106bhp for nearly 18 months now. Has 20k on the clock, and I average 48mpg. I don't floor the car. I do a mixture of motorway (70mph) and a little town driving.

I drove my car on Sunday for 23 miles and filled the car up, reset the clocks and drove back between 50-60mph and the clock showed 77mpg!!!

I checked the mpg by filling to the brim, and check mileage against what I have filled.

Have done this since I owned the car, and 48mpg is what I am getting. Little disappointed as my last Clio MKII 65bhp would do 54mpg around town give me an average of 64mpg

Mk3 SX
DreamTheater,

Yeah as i said i was getting around 54 mpg until i had a service about a month ago and i've been getting 61.5 ever since that. I also had a MK2 dci 65hp before this and was getting 65mpg no matter how i drove the car. will reset the trip computer when i fill up next week and see what i get.

Clio MK III Dci 106
Towlie...are you going by what the trip counter is showing or are you working out the mpg by filling to the brim and recording the mileage and filling to the brim again.

I had the clio serviced in Jan, but made no difference to the mpg.

I had a MKII Clio 65bhp - 2004 and would only get 52mpg, then changed it to a MKII Clio 65bhp - 2005 and it would average 64mpg.

Tangoed Works
Derv rocks for day to day driving. Bit annoying pissing petrol away when ucant even use the performance. Think when the missus gets her licence the second motor willbe a diesel

Clio MK III Dci 106
I consider anything less than 50mpg to be poor on a diesel. I had a Turbo D ZX and used to drive it at 70-80mph on a motorway and managed 48mpg out of it, which I considered good for the style of driving

martin does the dci100/106 turbo kickin at higher revs then a 80/86 im just wondering if it will feel a bit slower on pickup or need more down changes :eek:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yes mate when i got my 100 i felt it was pretty slow untill i realised i need to be doing 4000rpm gear changes compaired to the 3000rpm changes i was doing in the 65.

ive never driven an 80 but since it has the same turbo as a 65 i assume its much the same just with a bigger kick due to more boost its over a week since i drove the 100 so cant quite remember but im sure it kicks with full boost just under 2500rpm where i felt the 65 hit full boost at about 2000rpm.

the 100 feels more like a petrol its much more lively and has quite a wide power band it pulls right to the redline at 5k, not that i take it that high any time really

EDIT: also yes like ive said ive never driven one but i can imagine the 80 is as quick if not quicker around town under 2500rpm

yes mate when i got my 100 i felt it was pretty slow untill i realised i need to be doing 4000rpm gear changes compaired to the 3000rpm changes i was doing in the 65.

ive never driven an 80 but since it has the same turbo as a 65 i assume its much the same just with a bigger kick due to more boost its over a week since i drove the 100 so cant quite remember but im sure it kicks with full boost just under 2500rpm where i felt the 65 hit full boost at about 2000rpm.

the 100 feels more like a petrol its much more lively and has quite a wide power band it pulls right to the redline at 5k, not that i take it that high any time really

EDIT: also yes like ive said ive never driven one but i can imagine the 80 is as quick if not quicker around town under 2500rpm

what your saying does make sense

i thought high revs were wasted although i think i still do drive it like this 1900rpm is where i unleash the torque the 106 is between 2000-2500rpm so that would be the best point to keep the revs which does explain it feeling a bit dead most of my driving is at 1500rpm tickling 1900-2000rpm :eek:

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah mate the 100 i would avoid if its used for the sole purpous i use mine for and thats as a 2nd car to save cash, the 65 was better for that, this is a better warm hatch, and a lot of people laugh when i call it a warm hatch but it is hugely capable as i proved at the last cliosport meet and that was with cheap tyres.

on the motorway is where it shines though it still surprizes me how quick it pulls to 125mph when overtaking as you ride the wave of torque lol

looking at having mine mapped next month for 130bhp and more importantly 180 odd lb/ft

yeah mate the 100 i would avoid if its used for the sole purpous i use mine for and thats as a 2nd car to save cash, the 65 was better for that, this is a better warm hatch, and a lot of people laugh when i call it a warm hatch but it is hugely capable as i proved at the last cliosport meet and that was with cheap tyres.

on the motorway is where it shines though it still surprizes me how quick it pulls to 125mph when overtaking as you ride the wave of torque lol

looking at having mine mapped next month for 130bhp and more importantly 180 odd lb/ft

im after a warm hatch ;)

a gt dci sounds perfect :D

ive just had a look the mk3s compareing the torque to the mk2 i didnt relise they had so much more
dci86 12.7 -60 200 Nm 148 lb-ft dci80 11.8-60 185 Nm 136lb-ft
dci106 10.7-60 240 Nm 177 lb-ft dci100 10.3-60 200 Nm 148 lb-ft

the extra power an torque are still lost due to the weight i thought they would blance each other out :(

so ive got as much torque as a dci100 :eek: time to strip out some weight an leave the spare at home

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive just had a look the mk3s compareing the torque to the mk2 i didnt relise they had so much more
dci86 12.7 -60 200 Nm 148 lb-ft dci80 11.8-60 185 Nm 136lb-ft
dci106 10.7-60 240 Nm 177 lb-ft dci100 10.3-60 200 Nm 148 lb-ft

the extra power an torque are still lost due to the weight i thought they would blance each other out :(

so ive got as much torque as a dci100 :eek: time to strip out some weight an leave the spare at home

yeah the mk3's have stronger gearboxes so have more torque, if you look at a RR print out of a standard dci100 you will notice it hits its max torque of 148lbft and then the graph flattens out and it has a flat torque graph untill it starts dropping off because its limited, and you can feel it limiting as you drive it, its a strange feeling as if the car just wants to go but its not allowed to!!! look at a graph of a mapped one though and it climbs and climbs to its peak then drops off as it should, although i beleive clutches dont like much more than 180lb/ft so i wont be going over that, and im not changing the clutch lol, would maby consider a dci 106 6 speed box if it fits if my box goes with an uprated clutch in the future

Thought it was staying standard martin ;)

With those figures it will certaily make its presence felt, they're nippy busses the dci's.

lol my 172 was ment to be staying standard too, £3500 later..... lol i dont do standard, never will dont listen to me if i ever say a cars staying standard, everyone on cliodci.net laughed when i said it!! i had the last £1500 dci runabout in bits after a week fitting a front mount intercooler and -60mm springs on it lol then had a boost guage on it!!

yeah the mk3's have stronger gearboxes so have more torque, if you look at a RR print out of a standard dci100 you will notice it hits its max torque of 148lbft and then the graph flattens out and it has a flat torque graph untill it starts dropping off because its limited, and you can feel it limiting as you drive it, its a strange feeling as if the car just wants to go but its not allowed to!!! look at a graph of a mapped one though and it climbs and climbs to its peak then drops off as it should, although i beleive clutches dont like much more than 180lb/ft so i wont be going over that, and im not changing the clutch lol, would maby consider a dci 106 6 speed box if it fits if my box goes with an uprated clutch in the future

lol my 172 was ment to be staying standard too, £3500 later..... lol i dont do standard, never will dont listen to me if i ever say a cars staying standard, everyone on cliodci.net laughed when i said it!! i had the last £1500 dci runabout in bits after a week fitting a front mount intercooler and -60mm springs on it lol then had a boost guage on it!!

where are you getting it maped

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
probably RS Tuning unless anyone closer to home can do it, but doesnt seem to be much choice up here other than superchips who arnt giving the gains i want.

probably RS Tuning unless anyone closer to home can do it, but doesnt seem to be much choice up here other than superchips who arnt giving the gains i want.

if rstuning were closer i get mine maped theirs not really anyone local remaped mk3s seem quite rare

Last edited: