ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 Steering Wheel Removal !

White Sti Hatch
How in the f**k do you get the damn thing off, i had the top and bottom covers off witch expose the steering rack n all the wiring but i cant see any way of getting the airbag off the wheel !

Some one explain how ?? pics would be grand !

Never above 25mpg
Disconnect battery and pull the airbag off the wheel? Or there are locks on the back that clip it in like the MK2 one? Tried any of that yet yo?

White Sti Hatch
Tryed pulling but airbag "covers" gonna rip off before the whole thing comes out, theres no visable clips on the rear of the wheel at all.

White Sti Hatch
BUMP ! im out of lights and ideas lol !!

Found a wee hole at the bottom of the sterring wheel i can get a screw driver in it leads to the bottom large metal clip but no matter how much i push or whatever it wont budge the airbag at all !

Anyone taken one off yet the help ould be grand !

White Sti Hatch
Na as it would go in between the Horn plate thingy ! plus need to be able to reuse the airbag lol only got a replacment wheel !

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
iirc to whip out the airbag there are clips behing the wheel as you've found, cant remember which way they need unclipping though :(

White Sti Hatch
Gonna give it another go once the rents are out the driveway.

The clips at the rear are impossible to get to tbh as the stupid plastic casing around the stalks is in the way, but saying that i never bothered to try figure out how to take it apart

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You goon, take that off!!!. Will free up loads of space then. Usually a few torx bits underneath ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Oh, and there is a lowered MK3 just like yours in Chester, minus Black rims, they do look good mate :)

White Sti Hatch
You goon, take that off!!!. Will free up loads of space then. Usually a few torx bits underneath ;)

I had the bit that covers the top n bottom of the steering rack but theres another but around the pair of stalks if thats what your on about it lol

still got it stripped Dean? Going for the track look!

Stripped for now but will be going back i think.

Oh, and there is a lowered MK3 just like yours in Chester, minus Black rims, they do look good mate :)

Mines is better though :rasp::evil:

White Sti Hatch
Bah springs dont do jack for the look ! Coils are the way forward lol !!

I will once i figure it out ! Just got the R27 wheel to replace my melted standard one

Mk2 Clio dci
turn the steering wheel so its upside down. Then put a flat head screw driver in that hole. Theres a little metal kinda lug/clip thingy that needs to be bent out of way. Push the airbag up and out at the same time as wriggling the screwdriver. I wouldn't say it was hard, just really fecking annoying!

White Sti Hatch
It REALLY !!!! f**king annoying iv just tryed for the best part of an hour to get the bottom clip off to no avail ! Stick screw driver in the hole and lifter the clip up enough to get it over the lup and tryed to pull the airbag but it dosnt budge at all...

HOW IN THE f**k !!!!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
turn the steering wheel so its upside down. Then put a flat head screw driver in that hole. Theres a little metal kinda lug/clip thingy that needs to be bent out of way. Push the airbag up and out at the same time as wriggling the screwdriver. I wouldn't say it was hard, just really fecking annoying!
Bingo! Just ned to try or take it to a local garage/bodyshop Dean.

wierd, havent seen anything like that on mine; got a pic of it?

and yours is just out of warranty isnt it? D'oh!

clio III dyn s 106 hp
Put a 197 steering wheel on my mkIII back in 2007 and it has melted too. Did you get your wheel with the part number on the Renaultsport site? It's half the price £120ish and comes with the silver Renaultsport trim.
The new model clio GT has yellow stitching at the top still prefer the red though.

White Sti Hatch
Na i got mine off the net for cheap off an R27, but to be honest i give up trying to get the f**king airbag off prob just gonna sell it on lol !

clio III dyn s 106 hp
It tells you to pull it out at the top two corners first, then put a long 1/4 extension straight up through the hole in the back to undo the clip. It's still pretty awkward.
oh and take the horn fuse out cause it will drive you mad.

White Sti Hatch
I just undo the battery leave it for 10 mins before i touch it dont want an airbag to the face tbh !

i cant get any of it off car enough to get anything through it so ive just been trying to undo the bottom clip with the hole in the bottom of the wheel and a screw driver but with no luck at all drove me mad this morning !