ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 Steering

Clio Dynamique S DCI 86
I read somewhere that the Mk2 Dci's had the sport steering rack so the steering was heavier than the 1.2's so had more feel to it, do you know if the new Mk3's have the sport steering rack as mine feels a little disconnected, or is there any way to make it quicker, it has the variable assistance, can I manually change that to make it always heavier.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Far as I know the steering rack is the same across the range. Its the suspension set up that differs. I find my Mk3 is fine in terms of steering. Check your tyre pressures as they may be too low. Mine was in for a lil bit of work during the week and had a basic Clio as a courtesy car for the day. The steering felt much much lighter than mine so I really think that the combination of wheel size and tyre pressure can and does affect the car.

Clio Dynamique S DCI 86
Thanks, tires are 28 PSI on all corners. Standard rack is good to know, what PSI should I be running and I'll get it checked, do you know if I can bypass the variable adjust thing.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
I generally run 29psi in the fronts and 30 in the back. Gives me slightly better responses in cornering. Im running the 16 inch wheels with 195/50/16 Continental SportContact 2 tyres.

Not sure about bypassing the steering system. Its electronically controlled and the amount of assistance is dictated by the speed you are travelling at. Which is why the wheel is extremely light when parking or low speed but nicely weighted when at motorway / cruising speeds.

When you say disconnected, do you mean there isnt much feedback or is there something else? And is it something you noticed only recently or since youve had the car?

Clio Dynamique S DCI 86
Yeah I knew it did that reg parking and M/Way, I think mine are 16", they're the factory Canastas?

Disconnected was maybe the wrong word, I had a Mk2 DCi and the steering was quite weighty and you knew how much to turn for certain corners and with the new Mk3 presumably die to the variable system there seems to be no consistency or sometimes your turning the wheel through many degrees for not so sharp a corner.

I cant quite explain what I'm thinking, it just feels a little lifeless.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Ok, Ive a better picture of where you are coming from now. I had 2 Mk2 Clios. One was a Ph1 with old skool hydraulic steering, and a Ph3 with the newer electric assisted steering. It was also the same where it would be light at low speed and get more weighty the faster you went. Bear in mind that the dCi lump is quite weighty too and in a body as light as the Mk2, that could well explain it. She was more nose heavy than the petrol one I had. What you are explaining is what seems to be quite severe understeer.

Also, Ive found that the steering on my Mk3 improved a lot when I lowered her. Shes much more direct in corners, and doesnt understeer as much, even in the wet. Unless I push her hard that is :eek:

I think its just a matter of getting used to the Mk3 given how much bigger and heavier they are. The steering in the Mk3 is actually better than the Mk2 IMO and I know that Renault developed it so its like second generation now. Similar system is used right across the Renault range and depending on the model, it actually does feel lifeless.

Clio Dynamique S DCI 86
Okay, that all makes sense.

Lowering is my next plan, looking at 40mm, not sure what springs, have you spaced the wheels out aswel?

Hopefully mine isn't one of the lifeless ones...Clio dCi 86 S

Thanks for all the help, you've been really helpful.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
No problem mate. I got Eibach 30mm springs from K-Tec. I didnt go with spacers. I think she really needs them in the rears but not so much up front. 30mm was just enough for me as I have some pretty killer speed ramps near me and with the SX kit she scrapes sometimes even only on 30mm springs.

dCi 86 is a pretty decent engine. My folks have the same in their Modus and it hops along just fine ;)

From my own experience it was the Twingo that felt lifeless. Mainly cos its such a small and light little car.

Clio Dynamique S DCI 86
How do they ride, ill miss the spacers for now then.

The engine is great, it feels pretty rapid compared to my 8 year old Mk2, torquier acceleration throughout the range is great, especially when already rolling, although I regularly leave others off the line when I'm being "Spirited".

Cool well I'll wait for the feeling to come when the springs are in, did you fir yours yourself?

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
The ride is a bit more harsh over bumpy surfaces, you get a bit tossed round if the road is lumpy and in rubbish nick. Also be careful with speed bumps! But for cruising, its excellent. Handling wise its much better, its got a whole lot more grip, she corners better, and gives confidence to push her on more. Even in the wet I can handle better and corner faster. And I put her on track for last years FCS and it was a great experience for me. I really enjoyed it.

Think about getting a remap done, it will give you a big power boost and more torque too! Mate of mine got his dCi 65 Mk2 remapped to over 90bhp and a whole whallop of torque :D