ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modify or not - Your opinions appreciated

Hi

I have owned my williams for 5yrs. I paid 11k for it, and it has cost me 8k since. Its the only car I have kept for more than 18 months, and I intend on making it spick and span next year (re-spray and alloys refurbed).

I got myself thinking that I wont re-coup what Ive laid out so far, even if I keep it as standard (unless I keep it for about 40 years lol!). I am considering having all the mechanical modifications that Hill Power have available done next year. Am not sure of the cost as I am waiting to hear back from Nick at present, but am quite serious about it.

I dont intend on selling my car for at least another five years minimum, and I probably wouldnt get another car that would put as big a smile on my face as my current one for the price of the HP conversion (except another williams of course - but thats my biased opinion ;)).

Basically, do I or dont I? Your opinions please.

Deano

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Id do it mate. End of the day its your car and you payed so you do what you like to it.

Mod the Engine

Keep the exterior standard but prestine

Lovely!:D

Id keep it standard not because of the fact that I belive illimas are sacred but just because however much power you get youll always want more.

Spend the money on other things. Like a holiday which although is never there unlike a power modifications youll enjoy and have longer memories (hopefully) of.

Im getting a bigger motorbike next year for silly power, but I always felt the willy could do with that little bit extra. If I had bought a willy 3 I would just do it outright.

How are coilovers different from springs / suspension? I dont know much about them. Cheers for the advice so far.

U can adjust the height of the front from standard to low to very low!!! also adjustable damping too!!

Quote: Originally posted by Dno194 on 29 October 2004

How are coilovers different from springs / suspension? I dont know much about them. Cheers for the advice so far.
Coilovers are only different as they have adjustable seating if you thik where a spring sits on a damper well coilovers have an adjustable platform there. It allows for lower ride height.

Coilovers are normally just stock springs and dampers but they have this adjustable height seat. Youc an get fixed damping coilovers and adjustable rate dampers.

if you leave the outside pretty standard (may be lower it a bit) keep the original wheels etc,
and mod the engine then i reckon that will be along the rights lines of what you want to achieve. As it will still look standard but go faster !
personally id say go for it mate !

Id say keep it standard both engine and body work, its getting to be a classic car and should be kept that way, once you start messing with them theyre never the same again. Just my opinion though and i know loads of you wont aggree:cry:

Cheers Chris 106gti. I have mulled this over in my head for five years now. If I had bought a later version willy, then I would just do it. I want more go go go. I could buy an uprated turbo-charged car for less than the conversion, but then would I drive the willy?

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

19k OUCH!

Id only do light engine mods...filter/exhaust/chip.....mabye head work.

Spend the rest on coilovers brakes and really good tyres.... Keep her stock looking.

Have fun :D

300bhp MR2 Turbo

IMO you wont get the bang for the buck your looking for.

Ask around some people on here have well tuned Williams/2.0 Valvers that are very quick. Problem is eventually youll get used to that power and then where do you go? Alot of money for something you will eventually get bored with.

The best part of a Williams is the power delivery and if you tune it to the max it will move the power right up the rev range meaning you have to thrash it to get the best out of it.

For the money you could get for the Williams and what you intend to spend you could get an R32 GTR!

Matt 16v - R32 GTR... they are nice. Always fancied some turbo power, but am worried that the willy would just sit in the garage. A friend of mine suggested the same as yourself. The missus would rather I spend the money on the house (which would be the sensible thing to do), but when have I ever been sensible?

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Quote: Originally posted by Dno194 on 29 October 2004

Im getting a bigger motorbike next year for silly power, but I always felt the willy could do with that little bit extra. If I had bought a willy 3 I would just do it outright.
Wooo that comment hurt pal...

Id mod it and take me for a drive ;)

Valver

If you have the dosh why not? Nothing wrong with a bit more power if you can handle it! Just keep the original stuff like exhuast etc just incase you want to change back.

Mondeo STTDCI

depends the milage its on. if its a low miler (below 40k) do not mod.

if its done loads then mod away.

some light engine work never harmed anyone, wouldnt bother with cams, just get the head flowed and polished, maybe an exhaust, airfilter and a chip. have you considered having the suspension rebuilt? this can make a huge differance as you dont really notice it getting tired. i wouldnt bother lowering it, keep it looking standard