ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More Negative Press For Vista

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
More power to linux.. no serial no activation .. no crap.. all good ;)

MS are crazy if they think thats gonna stick.. i mean most home users run illegal copies anyway..

KDF said:

MS are crazy if they think thats gonna stick.. i mean most home users run illegal copies anyway..

More power to OSX. OSX is actually the only alternative most current users would use instead of Windows on their desktops.

And don't be saying I'm talking rubbish - I see it every single day. I'm an IT consultant and everyone uses Windows with a few MacOS users thrown in.
In my 3 years of doing it as my job, I've yet to see someone use Linux as their desktop OS.

Servers, yes.. (and I can see Linux-based servers from where I'm sitting now ;)) but desktops.. unfortunatly no.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
KDF said:

More power to OSX. OSX is actually the only alternative most current users would use instead of Windows on their desktops.

And don't be saying I'm talking rubbish - I see it every single day. I'm an IT consultant and everyone uses Windows with a few MacOS users thrown in.
In my 3 years of doing it as my job, I've yet to see someone use Linux as their desktop OS.

Servers, yes.. (and I can see Linux-based servers from where I'm sitting now ;)) but desktops.. unfortunatly no.

That's only because most home users are unaware of how to use and implement Linux on their home PC. The fact that anyone can go into a PC World store with a few hundred quid in their pocket and pickup a Mac, is the reason why OSX would be a more likely option. And the fact that the Mac (in any guise) would look pretty.

If they were 110% p1ssed off with Windows and realised that with a bit of knowledge, they could have their exisiting PC hardware running a free OS, then I'm sure that Linux would gain more ground. As it is, most people looking for an alternative to Windows would take the 'easy' option and head towards Mac.

D.

I still don't think Linux is ready to be used on the desktop by everyone.
I've been using Linux for years now (I think 6 or 7?).. on my own machines and on production servers, and I still wouldn't run it on my everyday desktop. It runs on my servers, sure.. but desktop? No..

I use Windows every day (business use) for my job.. my laptop is a Macbook Pro running OSX; OSX is SO SO SO SO SO far ahead of any Linux distribution on the desktop it's unreal.. that's my take anyway.. AND, you still have the power to do stuff you can in Linux anyway - there really is no point in messing around with anything other than OSX nowadays ;)

Anyway, I'm sure I've had this conversation before :p

I recently suffered from activation probs when I fitted my new OS drive. Activation reported that I had used my XP key too many times. I spent a while on the blower to MS sorting that out.

I ghost my new installs and restore them probably every 6 months. I do fresh installs when I need to after installing something critical like a new mobo. Hence why my old 3 year old copy of XP has evidently been activated too many times.

It sounds as though users like me, will be fisted by Vista. Surely MS cannot fist enthusiasts like this? That's disgusting if it turns out I can only install twice before it's locked. Perhaps I'm not understanding it correctly.

Last edited:
  Not a Clio
I've been using Linux for years now (I think 6 or 7?).. on my own machines and on production servers, and I still wouldn't run it on my everyday desktop. It runs on my servers, sure.. but desktop? No..

I use Windows every day (business use) for my job.. my laptop is a Macbook Pro running OSX; OSX is SO SO SO SO SO far ahead of any Linux distribution on the desktop it's unreal.. that's my take anyway.. AND, you still have the power to do stuff you can in Linux anyway - there really is no point in messing around with anything other than OSX nowadays ;)

I do actually agree ;)

Your average modern Windows user would be lost and frustrated with just about any Linux distro. I bet most users have never even seen a command prompt, never mind know what to do with it.

I grew up back in the day where you had to run games via MS DOS because Windows didn't have the functionality. My MS DOS manual was so well thumbed it was in pieces. These days Microsoft spoon feed users, just about anyone can use XP without having to refer to a support forum or wiki.

That said, there are more and more gui's being implemented now giving an alternative to the command prompt so it won't be long before you'll be able to do everything in Linux without the prompt.

Linux in its current form can be successfully used on the Desktop. I have been using Ubuntu for a year now and my fiancee (average windows user) has been using Ubuntu for about half a year. We do not have Windows installed on any machines in our household and manage perfectly well.

Monaro VXR
Good few of my mates use linux as there only OS.

But think the reason you wont see many home users running it if you work with computers is.. They would not ask someone to come look at there system they would more than likely fix it themselves since the average linux user is an advanced user.

Know if anything went wrong with my system id work it out myself.

Fabia vRS

I do actually agree ;)

Your average modern Windows user would be lost and frustrated with just about any Linux distro. I bet most users have never even seen a command prompt, never mind know what to do with it.

I grew up back in the day where you had to run games via MS DOS because Windows didn't have the functionality. My MS DOS manual was so well thumbed it was in pieces. These days Microsoft spoon feed users, just about anyone can use XP without having to refer to a support forum or wiki.

That said, there are more and more gui's being implemented now giving an alternative to the command prompt so it won't be long before you'll be able to do everything in Linux without the prompt.

Linux in its current form can be successfully used on the Desktop. I have been using Ubuntu for a year now and my fiancee (average windows user) has been using Ubuntu for about half a year. We do not have Windows installed on any machines in our household and manage perfectly well.

i remember having to edit my autoexec.bat and config.sys all the time to try and free up as much of my 640k as possible so i could play games like goblins, and monkey island.

and remember kids, nobody will ever need more than 640k ever :)

No large organisation will ever use nix because most corporates are scared of using open source stuff for their workstations.

The only people the new EULA will affect is home users or enthusiasts that might look into switching. Even then only a small minority will switch because OEM's will continue to distribute microsoft operating systems with their products. I know at least we will ;)