ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

more power at 5000rpm

clio sport 182
hi there, iv only had my 182 for about a month and iv noticed when im giving it some it pulls like hell but as soon as it gets to 5000rpm the engine note changes and it pulls twice as fast. wots all that about then? is it normal or wot?, the only other car iv been in that does that is a civic type R. can anyone help me at all?.

Leon Cupra 300
Why take the piss? :rolleyes:

I'm sure it aint technically correct but they just kind of come 'on cam' at 5k hence pullin like stink. :cool:

Octy VRS
Didn't you know? There are families of hamsters that live in all RS engines. When you hit around 5000RPM an electric charge is sent into the probes they have up their arses. This sends them into a sexual frenzy and they run round their wheels twice as fast, thus the extra power!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
my corsa SXI used to do this at 4500RPM pretty sure most modern cars do.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
wasn't a bad car for an 18 year old! 2002 SXI, better than a clio ;) seemed to get way more power at that rpm.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Yeah 16v engines will do that.....even 'modern' 8v's won't get anything extra at 5k....

Milltek'd 182
yes its normal. nothing to do with hamsters lol. goes on cam, and becomes more efficient hence more powerful.

Mk4 .:R32
Feels like mine has lost a bit of the 5k kick :( Do you reckon if I fit a cold air feed to my CDA and route it to the bottom grill it will make much diff? Cos I've left the CDA open at the mo. Sounds mint though

Shed.
Yeah 16v engines will do that.....even 'modern' 8v's won't get anything extra at 5k....

true, but i find sometimes, if not allways itll pull ok till 5k and a bit, and then it slows all the way to 6k.

Now ive got my induction chav kit its allrite, there s alot more power at the top end and it pulls really well up in the revs.

......when i say really well......its still piss poor.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
No mechanic but I heard it was to do with the second cam powering up. If you change the cams for ones with a better profile you can get the power to come on earlier or get them to rev longer.

VaVa
I have to ask who's more foolish. The fool or the fools that mock him?

It's the cams reaching their most efficient point at a certain rpm range. In the case of the F4R the cams pull much harder after 5000rpm.

Try here dude. Explains pretty well how cams work and what they do and there's a great animation near the bottom of the page that shows the difference between 'normal' cams and 'performance' cams.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

M2 Competition
By closed it means that the box is closed off from engine heat, dont need to connect the feed to them.

If you disconnect the pipe, and have it pointing at the front of the cda, it'll be a lot louder, and some reckon it runs better.

148966-4.jpg

If you look to the right of this csl bay, the airfeed is open, with CAF coming up from where foglight would be on a standrad m3.

Feels like mine has lost a bit of the 5k kick :( Do you reckon if I fit a cold air feed to my CDA and route it to the bottom grill it will make much diff? Cos I've left the CDA open at the mo. Sounds mint though

Sounds like your engine is producing more low down torque which helps mask the kick at 5200rpm.

Mk4 .:R32
Yeah sorry BMC CDA. I would have used the provided cold air feed but its way too big for under a clio bonnet. And it'snot flexible

M2 Competition
Should be able to fit any feed mate, zip tie it in place in the bay pointing towards front of the kit. Pipercross sell slimmer ones, as do demon-tweeks.

Its actually the dephaser solenoid advancing the timing via the dephaser pulley on the inlet camshaft.

Newer 1.6 16v engines and also import scenic rx4's have this pulley fitted to, but i think its just the rs's that you notice the kick on

Shaun

Its to do with the flux capacitor Mick, have a search on google for it.

f**king hilarious :rolleyes:, can we have a comedy forum for Gavfre to post in?

Its to do with the cam timing advancing not sure on the technicalities but I would be interested to know myself.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Its actually the dephaser solenoid advancing the timing via the dephaser pulley on the inlet camshaft.

Newer 1.6 16v engines and also import scenic rx4's have this pulley fitted to, but i think its just the rs's that you notice the kick on

Shaun

I thought that the dephaser stuff was for the VVT, which on the RS is used for emissions purposes and kicks in circa 2k rpm?

I was always told it's just that the engines are "on cam", my old 19 was the same.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its nothing to do with advancing time or VVT.

5k is the point when the cam timing starts working at its best. i know my mums 1.2 16v has a slight kick at 3k, but mine doesnt, (dont know if the newer 1.2 16v engines are twin cam compaired to the single cam ones before 2004?) only reason the F4R has a much bigger kick is due to them using more wild cam timing.

clio 182 ff
wasn't a bad car for an 18 year old! 2002 SXI, better than a clio ;) seemed to get way more power at that rpm.

hah clio 1.2 is fast if u look at stats plus when u think of corsa u think my good i feel sorry for u driving that lol:)