ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Emissions (Passes HC easy, fails CO and AFR)

Virtually all the threads I've found have either failed everything miserably or failed CO by fairly big numbers (10%, not 0.something). I can read the emissions print out and search for similar threads but I'd like to know what failing particular aspects can mean.

Anyway, what are the symptoms of passing HC, but failing CO?

Fast idle:
CO 0.85% (Fail > 0.30%)
HC 53 PPM (Passed)
Lambda 1.04 (Fail 0.97 to 1.03)

(Virtually identical numbers for both fast idle tests)

Slow idle:
CO 0.91% (Fail > 0.50%)

More info:

* Lambda sensors are OK. Both OEM, pre-cat is recent & they have been swapped around to test.
* New plugs, oil, oil filter etc within last few months
* It does do short journeys, sit in traffic and the last owner lived in London (so wouldn't surprise me if the catalytic converter is fubared) but without fail it is be warmed up and enjoyed once a week.
* MOT was done 2 hours after I dropped it off, oil temp was 89 degrees C & tester said he held it at high revs for a few minutes before the second test.
* Engine doesn't burn oil or destroy spark plugs
* For what it's worth (IMO a lot, actually) the tester also gave a good impression. Knew about complexity of F4R cambelts, asked if I'd heard of CS.net, spent ages discussing the failures, did a few bits for free (number plate bulb, tracking)

Will probably stick a cheap non-OEM or borrowed OEM catalytic converter on it and retest, but wanted to see if anyone else had similar results (easy HC pass, bad but not ridiculous CO)

Thanks in advance